How did the factory do it?

More
05 Oct 2010 08:41 #404173 by 650ed
How did the factory do it? was created by 650ed
A question came up in conversation recently in a discussion about fuel tank aftermarket sealants. Some folks have had good luck with some products; others had bad luck, and perhaps the results reflected the prep that went into the job. BUT, no doubt the factory making the fuel tanks did not originally (and do not today) use these aftermarket products. SO what did they originally use to paint the inside of the tanks? My 33 year old tank is still not rusty inside so what ever they used was pretty good stuff. Is there any way to find out what it was or what is used by factories today, so that maybe folks repairing/restoring tanks can use the same stuff? Does anyone on this site have access to factory information? Inquiring minds want to know. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
05 Oct 2010 09:55 #404202 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic How did the factory do it?
Ed:
My 28 year old tank was completely rust free until a couple of years ago. Then I removed the tank for painting, blowing it out with compressed air. The tank sat up for a few weeks before I finished the paint project. I had the openings taped over, but the Gulf Coast humidity caused a very mild amount of surface rust to form, which I discovered after removing the tape.

My theory is, that as long as there was some fuel in the tank, it may keep oxygen in the air from attacking the surface. I can see no evidence that the factory had put any type of coating inside the tank. I could be wrong. Anybody else have an opinion?

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
05 Oct 2010 10:12 #404205 by Oliver
Replied by Oliver on topic How did the factory do it?
I read an article here about how to clean a tank. They suggested that after you clean the inside of the tank use wd40 to prevent flash rust until you can put gas in it.

As far as those sealants go. I think Kreem is a brand name.
Once you put that in a tank your time left on the tank is ticking. once it fails you are worse off than you were before.
If you have a leak something like that may be your only option to give you time to replace the tank. But I would never put it in as a preventive measure.

It also drop's the value of your bike to a educated buyer.

The article on here about tank cleaning is really good. I'd check that out.

Things I currently own
1983 kz550ltd owned 10 years
1982 kz1100a2 just bought as winter project
1967 vw beetle 1775cc first car owned 25 years

More
05 Oct 2010 11:00 #404214 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic How did the factory do it?
I didn't think they put anything on it, it's just plain old steel I believe.
Which is why if kept fumed out and empty when not in use, and by no means ever introducing H2O into it, they stay perfect. (I have a 77,80,83 tank, all mint inside) The slightest amount of moisture introduced and you end up with what all steel looks like when left to the elements. So if you're too lazy to empty and fume out your tank for long storage periods, at least have the decency to be lazy enough to put in both a fuel stabilizer and a moisture removal additive.

"tank Liners are total crap!"
I've personally seen many tanks done in by these after market so called fixes. They just make a recoverable tank, pretty much unrecoverable after thier application. I've never seen anyone use them and not land with fuel delivery problems a couple of years down the road. LOL
I'm amazed that after so many years of horrid results/reviews these products are still being made and sold. ((but then people do buy MIGHTY PUDDY, roflmao))

Funnier yet, is that at the cost of most of them, you could just take the dang tank to a rad shop and have it put in an acid bath to remove all rust and moisture. Then repaint and take care of it.

HINT: I've seen people put water inside tanks for various reasons, it's like standing at a grave side. Heh. Whatever genius tells you (even if it's yourself) to put water in your tank for one reason or another, that is the person you Most want to Ignore.B)

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
05 Oct 2010 11:34 - 05 Oct 2010 11:36 #404220 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic How did the factory do it?
As for the factory tanks, I believe they were "flashed" in a caustic bath. I know there was some kind of electrolisys setup in the bath, zinc or something else... guessing on element.

Tank liners can work fantastic, if the prep is correct.
The answer is steam, real high pressure steam.
I take all the tanks I'm going to recover to a local rad speciallist who hooks it up to a steam machine that seals to the tank and pumps ultra hot steam through it. You can litteraly see the tank expand slightly!

Afterwards, its all just plain shiney new metal inside. He throws in what I believe is acetone and shakes it around for a minute, then puts it on a dryer machine. Ten minutes later, in goes the coating in a very abundant volume, shake-shake, hangs up to drain.

Just like a diesel truck rad, and it lasts so far, indefinately. Been many years of happy clients I'm told, and the guy is like 70 yrs old.

B)

Water in the tank is only ok if it is followed up immediately with generous water repellant like oil/wd40/penetrant/etc. Gotta protect that metal or it flash rusts very fast.

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 05 Oct 2010 11:36 by TeK9iNe.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
05 Oct 2010 11:47 #404223 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic How did the factory do it?
x2 on the rad shop tecnique.lots of bike tanks been done at our local shop by the same guy and since peeps are still bringing bike tanks in,I assume it must work.The pickup truck spray bedliner stuff works well too.Thats what Im using and it has worked great so far.bj

More
05 Oct 2010 13:19 #404231 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic How did the factory do it?

I read an article here about how to clean a tank. They suggested that after you clean the inside of the tank use wd40 to prevent flash rust until you can put gas in it. ..

He wasn't really asking how to treat tank rust.
Personally, I think wd40 is too thin & kinda evaporates. A better alternative would be snowmobile fogging oil. Or use motor oil & roll the tank around to coat it.

More
05 Oct 2010 13:35 #404235 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic How did the factory do it?
JMKZHI wrote:

[ He wasn't really asking how to treat tank rust.

Correct, thanks! I was asking if anyone knew what the factory originally used on the inside of the tanks. Ed

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
05 Oct 2010 14:27 #404253 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic How did the factory do it?
650ed wrote:

JMKZHI wrote:

Correct, thanks! I was asking if anyone knew what the factory originally used on the inside of the tanks. Ed

Gasoline. :P

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
05 Oct 2010 14:33 #404256 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic How did the factory do it?
testarossa wrote:

650ed wrote:

JMKZHI wrote:

survey says: :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
05 Oct 2010 15:24 #404270 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic How did the factory do it?
Ed, The answer is Fish Oil!....Smart People!

More
05 Oct 2010 15:59 #404292 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic How did the factory do it?
testarossa wrote:

650ed wrote:

JMKZHI wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You'd think I could have figured that out on my own. :laugh: