Washing bikes?

More
16 Apr 2006 03:56 #39852 by devochka
Washing bikes? was created by devochka
Hi there! I am new here and was wondering how you wash a bike? I know that in a car you need to cover certain things up before washing the engine.... Do you need to do the same for a bike?

Also, what kind of polish do you recommend to get the chrome shiny like new? My bike has been neglected in this area and I want to spiff it up.

Thanks!

_erin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2006 04:47 #39859 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic Washing bikes?
I just secure any openings for/in the airbox, and rubber band a baggie around the exhaust to keep water and suds out. I use a low slow stream of water and whatever car wash soap is around. Dry slowly and make sure drying towels have no "surprises" (like metal drill shavings or the like. Dont ask how I know to check that!!)
I use an air line and blo gun with a long narrow nozzle and semi-lo pressure to blow leftovers out of anywhere my meathooks cant get a towel or chamois into.
For chrome....get you some semichrome polishing paste and a can of NevrDull wadding. Great stuff!
And dont forget "before" and "after" pics. So the "P" needs a bath, huh??? Have fun,...thats ALOT of bike to clean up.;)

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
16 Apr 2006 06:23 #39867 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Washing bikes?
For the rear wheel area i use ArmorAll Alunimun wheel cleaner.It is great for the swingarm center stand area where a lot of crud settles. You need to use high pressure to remove it. There is a mild acid content and it really cleans.
Some wheel cleaners warn against using on motorcycles. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
16 Apr 2006 14:44 #39953 by devochka
Replied by devochka on topic Washing bikes?
Thanks for the tips!

I found some NevrDull on "teh intarweb," so I will likely order it. I already have some armor-all car wash, so I will use that. I also have the Aromor-All acid wheel cleaner (for my car), so looks like that will come in handy too!

Can anyone point me to where the airbox/intake is, so I can close it off?

Thanks again for the help!

_erin

Post edited by: devochka, at: 2006/04/16 17:45

More
16 Apr 2006 15:00 #39955 by hungarian41-78
Replied by hungarian41-78 on topic Washing bikes?
the intakes are behind the carbs and the airbox is the thinggy:whistle: with the 2 chrome covers on either side of the bike. Have fun washing your scoot, I started on mine today after I found out it's just a little to cold to ride it as of yet.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
16 Apr 2006 15:01 #39956 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Washing bikes?
The airbox intake on the Police bikes is like most other KZ's and is located partially under the rear of the fuel tank, and you can gain access to it by removing the seat.

D'oh! I almost forgot. :whistle:

Congrats on getting your "new to you" bike! B)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/04/16 18:03

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
16 Apr 2006 15:12 #39963 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Washing bikes?
Erin...first of all...Welcome to KZR!:)
I was just reading the other day where You were LOOKING(??) for a bike?...and You found one...ALREADY?!:ohmy:
Wow Girl...You don't mess around!:laugh:
Good cleaning tips,Guys...I really like the airhose trick...I'll have to remember that one...kool.
Ya Erin...just don't get too close to the bike with the high-pressure wand,if You go that route(at the carwash)...keep it away from wheel bearings(it could wash away the grease),and Your forks(where the dustcaps are...or does Yours have the complete rubber covers on them,can't remember)...anywhere that water should get into(internally)...stay away from those areas with high-pressure.
DON'T armourall the seat!LOL
The rest IS just a lot of buffing and polishing...and drying first,of course...have fun!B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
17 Apr 2006 04:57 #40153 by devochka
Replied by devochka on topic Washing bikes?
Sandy wrote:

Erin...first of all...Welcome to KZR!:)
I was just reading the other day where You were LOOKING(??) for a bike?...and You found one...ALREADY?!:ohmy:
Wow Girl...You don't mess around!:laugh:

Well, I posted that back in November:

2005/11/14 19:08

I updated my existing post and added a bunch of questions to it, LOL!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I appreciate it. I will certainly take before and after pics and I am sure I will describe how sore my arms are, too! :D

_erin

More
17 Apr 2006 16:28 #40297 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Washing bikes?
My testimonial is for Simple Green. Cuts engine grime, washes away with water, and it's biodegradable (a big deal in the Golden State).
Spray some on a rag and wipe down your wiring under the side panels.

I don't use it on painted parts, but for the grimy stuff, it's great.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
17 Apr 2006 22:48 #40377 by Werewolfx
Replied by Werewolfx on topic Washing bikes?
I wash my wheels, chain, and the front of my engine (being mindful of the header gaskets) at the car wash near the university here. I do the chain twice for every time I do the rest of the parts I wash (clean at the car wash, regrease when I get home, then the next time I just degrease and regrease it in my driveway)

I wash my side covers off the bike with a sopping wet sponge, dry off, 2 coats of wax. The tank I wipe off with a slightly less wet sponge, dry, 2-4 coats of wax. All the chrome gets done the same way with a quick coat of wax. I rub the engine cases with a bit of mothers aluminum polish (with my fingers), wipe off the black residue.

Seat just gets wiped down with a damp sponge/cloth when it needs it, and I change the tape on the two little rips.

Chris

More
18 Apr 2006 05:12 - 03 Dec 2008 12:26 #40429 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 12:26 by JMKZHI.

More
26 Sep 2006 15:31 #79828 by Wild and KZ Guy
Replied by Wild and KZ Guy on topic Washing bikes?
Mine never sees water. I wipe it down every coupla rides with a nice soft cloth(throw it away afterwards, don't re-use it), and use compressed air where needed. Underneath the bike & exhaust, I might use some Windex or 409 if there's grease/oil that needs cutting. Then I wax the bike, rims, and engine casings with some quality wax. Be sure to use 100% Carnauba Wax, it is the best. On the seat, I apply some Son-of-a-Gun Protectant; it is basically the same as ArmorAll, but is silicone based, as opposed to water based like ArmorAll, which is actually doing more damage than good.
Hit the chrome with some fine(not as in quality, but as opposed to coarse) steel wool. You will be truly amazed at the difference. Then hit it with the wax.
Safe Riding! B)

Post edited by: Wild and KZ Guy, at: 2006/09/26 18:35

A couple of Old School Minibikes
1980 LTD KZ650 E1