Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
22 Aug 2010 01:48 #392905 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
I mixed up some body filler and spread it into the ribs

it's tight quarters, so it's not the cleanest spreading job, but it will work. Tomorrow I should be able to sand it down and lay a skim coat if needed. I will more than likely need to do some extra refinishing to the mold after it is cast. Since the mold will be male, it'll be much easier to make any adjustments once it's been cast. I kinda wish I had a Z1 tank to be molding off of :pinch: But I will just >not so simply< modify the mold edges after casting to make a seamless tank. Thats the idea right now anyway :dry:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
22 Aug 2010 09:59 #392979 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
Could wood be used to extend the flat spot to the bottom of the lip? Maybe a pack of wood shims and some glue wood get you there. Just a suggestion as I don't know the process of wrapping the wood once done.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Aug 2010 10:19 - 22 Aug 2010 10:21 #392984 by porchev914
See, now you're using your noggin ;) That's how it is with composites, there aren't many hard and fast rules. Use your imagination and ingenuity to come up with solutions to complex problems. The materials are so flexible that the possibilities and applications are endless. Thats good thinking outside the box B) Wrapping or covering wood requires similar prep...

FRANKEN Z!
Last edit: 22 Aug 2010 10:21 by porchev914.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Aug 2010 11:07 #392994 by porchev914
I sent an email to OPP asking about the standards built to, and the legality of their aftermarket carbon fiber fuel tanks. Hopefully they'll get back to me early next week with some valid info I can share with the rest of you.

FRANKEN Z!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Aug 2010 21:54 #393141 by porchev914
My email to OPP Racing:
"Good morning,

I have a question regarding your carbon fiber fuel tanks. There is alot of hearsay and rumor on the internet about the legality (mostly illegality) of of fiberglass and carbon fiber fuel tanks. Since OPP is a prominent distributor of carbon fiber fuel tanks, I had hoped you might be able to shed some informed light on the subject. ARE carbon tanks legal for D.O.T. use, and what standards are referenced for the manufacure and testing of aftermarket tanks built? I want to make an informed decision, and I don't want the thought of undue litigation on my mind if I crash with an aftermarket carbon tank. Thank you for your time and assitance and have a great day.

Adam"

OPP's response

"You will have to check with your state, we have not had any issues regarding legality since selling fuel tanks in over 20 years.
thank you
OPP INC."

A bit of a dissapointing cop out, not answering my questions at all really.

My response:
"Thank you for your quick response. While I appreciate being ambiguously pointed in my state laws direction, my questions still go unanswered. Perhaps you could be more specific where I should be looking for the applicable state laws ( I live in California) and again, what standards (federal) are the fuel tanks constructed to comply with and what quality control testing they have been subjected too.
Thanks again for your help,
Adam"

I hope to get a more thorough answer tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath...

FRANKEN Z!

More
23 Aug 2010 07:11 #393181 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
I just added the link for information, not to put the kabosh on your project. You could get pulled over 500 times and not have an issue with that tank.

Hope to see it come to fruition. (insert popcorn here)

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
23 Aug 2010 07:33 #393184 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
porchev914 wrote:

OPP's response

"You will have to check with your state, we have not had any issues regarding legality since selling fuel tanks in over 20 years.
thank you
OPP INC."

As soon as I read this I thought it's one of two things. First, you got the stock answer from whoever answers all the email. No knowledge office worker. This could mean that their tank is perfectly legal, as I'm sure that you probably aren't the first person to ask this question. They don't want to get legal involved every time somebody emails.

Second, they may know that their tanks are not exactly legal in all states, but they won't tell you even if you put a gun to their head. It is, after all, their livelyhood. I have known many companies to exist in the "gray area" in the law until they get caught.

I'm leaning toward option #2

You would really need to talk to a legal expert to get to the bottom of this. It's not likely that you would be able to do that without spending a lot of money.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Aug 2010 07:43 #393196 by porchev914
Kidkawie wrote:

I just added the link for information, not to put the kabosh on your project. You could get pulled over 500 times and not have an issue with that tank.

Hope to see it come to fruition. (insert popcorn here)

No Kabosh placed here. I took it for the available info, no worries bud.

FRANKEN Z!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Aug 2010 07:54 #393204 by porchev914
OPP's second response:

i would try the dmv.
we have sold tons of fuel tanks to cali.
most tanks have been discontinued, which tank are you looking for anyways?
thank you
OPP INC.

Kinda makes you wonder why MOST of their tanks have been discontinued. Plus, the DMV has to be one of the least helpful government institutions around! I can't possibly be the first person to ask these questions, or the first person to check into the legality of composite tanks. Ahh well, maybe I'll come across the answer one of these days.....

FRANKEN Z!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Aug 2010 08:05 #393209 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
They just want to sell tanks from the sound of it, and will continue to do so until the Slow Moving government makes a law making it Illegal. I wonder what if any disclaimer they use when they sell one?
To find out whether that's already the case in any of the 50 states, I would say DOT, or possibly NTSA. These agencies were put in place for regulating Motor Vehicles and safety Issues.
It well could be that they are not Illegal at this time, but the same goes for any mod, you could easily become libel.
Still think a custom tank will look great, and would be the envy of us. Just watch yourself with the law formalities.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
23 Aug 2010 11:20 #393242 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
I would think a composite tank with a "bladder" in it would be safer than a steel tank without, but I'm no engineer.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

More
23 Aug 2010 16:25 #393292 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
porchev914 wrote:

I mixed up some body filler and spread it into the ribs

it's tight quarters, so it's not the cleanest spreading job, but it will work. Tomorrow I should be able to sand it down and lay a skim coat if needed. I will more than likely need to do some extra refinishing to the mold after it is cast. Since the mold will be male, it'll be much easier to make any adjustments once it's been cast. I kinda wish I had a Z1 tank to be molding off of :pinch: But I will just >not so simply< modify the mold edges after casting to make a seamless tank. Thats the idea right now anyway :dry:

I would have left those ribs in there. With out them the tank will flex too much. That was the reason they were in there to begin with. With out them the tank develops harmonic vibration on the inside to the point of foaming the fuel.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000