A few pics of my almost finished project.

More
06 Sep 2010 05:47 #396427 by kzbobber1
Replied by kzbobber1 on topic A few pics of my almost finished project.
Drod13, It's actually a dry food storage can from Target. All I did was buy 2 of them and cut the bottom off of one and put the lid from the second on on it so it looked the same on both sides. It came in a set of 3 and I just used the biggest one of the 3. Worked out great. Let me know if you need any parts I have some extra stuff laying around. Thanks for the comment, I need to put the new pics of it up with the exhausts on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2010 06:03 #396435 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic A few pics of my almost finished project.
I have been thinking about going with a Sporty tank. Are there any modifications to the frame to make that fit? I see you arent using the front mount, how do you have it secured to the backbone?

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
06 Sep 2010 06:21 - 06 Sep 2010 06:22 #396440 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic A few pics of my almost finished project.
Daman it Leon... Oh sure... OMR likey and I'm wierd.. :blush:

Larry builds his freaking gorgeous Black and GOLD bike and you homos don't say a word.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More images please....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 06 Sep 2010 06:22 by Old Man Rock.

More
06 Sep 2010 12:59 #396540 by kzbobber1
I will put some more pics up tomorrow. I have them at my shop. Yes I had to mod the frame a bit to make the tank fit. if you look closely to the front where the old tank used to mount, I cut out the triangle shaped metal pieces that had the rubber mounts for the old tank. I used 2 tabs that I cut off the back of the frame and welded them to the under side of the backbone. I also made a tab in the middle of the back side of the tank so it has 3 mounting points. Also I had to cut 3 sections of the frame out and invert them and weld back in to make clearance for the bumps on the bottom of the tank. I will take some close up pics of it for you tomorrow. The reason all this had to be done is because the tunnel on the stock tank is in the shape of a V , but the sporty tanks tunnel is a straight U shape. If you dont cut the frame up it will sit on the bike funny and not fit right. If you are looking to do this I will put more in depth pics of how it was done. Pretty easy if you have the right tools.

More
08 Sep 2010 04:33 #396974 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic A few pics of my almost finished project.
At this point I don't have the ability to weld myself, but I have friends that can. They just don't work on bikes, so yeah I would appreciate some detailed pics.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
08 Sep 2010 07:44 #397014 by Drod13
Replied by Drod13 on topic A few pics of my almost finished project.
kzbobber1 wrote:

Drod13, It's actually a dry food storage can from Target. All I did was buy 2 of them and cut the bottom off of one and put the lid from the second on on it so it looked the same on both sides. It came in a set of 3 and I just used the biggest one of the 3. Worked out great. Let me know if you need any parts I have some extra stuff laying around. Thanks for the comment, I need to put the new pics of it up with the exhausts on it.

That's awesome man! Who would of thought? Hey where's the battery? I mocked up the tank higher up and put the battery under it.Here's a earlier pic of the placement of the tank and the new battery box I made.

1979 KZ-750
Attachments:

More
08 Sep 2010 15:30 #397073 by kzbobber1
my battery is pretty much in the same place as yours is. But my battery is TINY!! its likd 3.5 inches tall and 6 inches wide. so it hides very well in front of the fake oil tank. Sorry I have been busy at my shop. Ill put the pics up tomorrow. I also have another one of the cans I used for the oil tank, with no lid. but ill put the pic of it up too so you can see what it looked like before I painted it.

More
08 Sep 2010 20:56 #397168 by Drod13
Replied by Drod13 on topic A few pics of my almost finished project.
alright cool thanks...Take your time no rush for the pics.
I went on the target site and I think I found it but not sure.This was a 4 piece set though.I'll wait for the pics.

If we keep talking about this I'm gonna start telling you about the sales their having on tupperware...lol My wife
walked up on me and asked what I was doing surfing Target
and I said "shopping for bike parts", She walked away shaking her head....hahaha.

1979 KZ-750

More
09 Sep 2010 05:51 #397204 by kzbobber1
Lol!! Nice. I tried looking on their site also to find you a pic but its not on their site. I just went to the store and looked around when I found it.

More
09 Sep 2010 06:04 #397207 by kzbobber1
here are a few pics of what I had to do to get the tank to fit the bike.
Attachments:

More
09 Sep 2010 06:05 - 09 Sep 2010 06:23 #397208 by kzbobber1
I had to cut these out because the tank had bumps that came down and hit the frame making it not set correctly. If you are careful when you cut these out, like I was. I just flipped them upside down and re-welded them back in that way the frame is still just as strong and it allowed the clearance I needed to make the tank fit. For a bobber this style tank is the way to go over the factory tank.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Sep 2010 06:23 by kzbobber1. Reason: description

More
09 Sep 2010 06:06 #397209 by kzbobber1
Attachments: