• Topic Author
  • User
  • more wrenching than riding!
More
05 Aug 2010 08:44 #388353 by yggy
problem with stock exhaust was created by yggy
Hi Peoples!

i have an issue with my stock exhaust, markings are:

now the last inside little tube got loose from the end can bit, so we put in some piping over the old pipe (with the holes on the side) and pushed it all the way back that it couldnt go anymore and weld it in place.. but i think we made a booboo there. engine works fine but somehow the feeling i get is that the "grunt of the bike" sits in the middle of the bike instead of exiting it on the rear.. (hope this makes any sence, hmm)

does anyone of you guys have any diagram of the inside of these stock end cans? i think we screwed up the compression chamber or something..

could i drill a hole in the centre (at the very end inside the can) of the old pipe? it seems that the fumes actually do not go straight through that pipe with those holes in the sides..

again, i hope this makes any sence, if not, ill make a few sketches on what we did.. :P

1980 EU-z650 c4 one of the few C's around..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2010 11:28 #388385 by dshelly
Replied by dshelly on topic problem with stock exhaust
Take a pic of the pipe you welded in. The pipe you talk about has slots inside ,kind of like what an old fashioned can opener would do. You know, the triangle ones.

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
05 Aug 2010 19:09 #388494 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic problem with stock exhaust
Dshelly:
I am not sure which pipe you are referring to, so here is a description of mine:
On the front of the can, a pipe of about 1 1/4" diameter, extends into the front of the can by about 10". It has some holes in the sides for about half its length. It simply hangs in the center of the can, only supported from the front welding.
On the back end, there are about 5 pipes, 3 small and two larger ones. There are two inside baffel plates, plus the rear plate that can be seen from behind the muffler can. The center pipe, where exhaust exits, is about 4 1/2" long, and welded to the exposed rear plate. This pipe is about 1 1/2" short of contacting the front baffel plate. This space is needed for the exhaust to find its way into and out ths final center pipe. If you pushed a replacement all the way in, it will leave no room for the exhaust to exit, other than what can leak past the small space that remains. If you can unweld the piece that you installed, and pull it about 1 1/2" rearward, then weld and trim off the excess, you may be close to the original design. If needed, I can take a photo of the entire rear baffel assembly and piping, since I saved it from an old exhaust that rusted out. Hope this helps.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
05 Aug 2010 20:18 - 05 Aug 2010 20:20 #388527 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic problem with stock exhaust
Here you go guy... (click for clearer picture)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Aug 2010 20:20 by Bluemeanie.

• yggy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2010 02:34 #388556 by yggy
Replied by yggy on topic problem with stock exhaust
Ahh. That was what I was looking for! Great.

Now I am just wondering how/why we could push that last pipe with the holes a bit further back. Might be because the rest of the inner parts might be rotten too. Worst case is that I might need to take the whole endcap off. Would it be possible to redo the inside parts with a more modern filling? I mean having a straight rod in with glass fiber packing? I read a similar setup in classic mechanic Uk magazine.

Hmm would be cool to make it so that instead of welding everything just make it changeable. So I can tweak setups :).

More
06 Aug 2010 05:48 #388594 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic problem with stock exhaust
You'll probably figure it out once you cut out the guts, but WABBMW's info is probably applicable to your 750E. Your mufflers are ~6" longer than the 650-CSR's.

• yggy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2010 11:18 #388672 by yggy
Replied by yggy on topic problem with stock exhaust
Okidokie. Just heard my father in law purchased an endelscope on eBay! Wahahaha it's awesome to check the inside of those hard to get places. Like engines exhausts etc. (not to mention the Human cavities. Eeew) anyway. It's in working condition. So He phoned me up about maybe testing it on my exhausts. Then we would not have to cut it open yet.

Lol @my father in law. The stuff he thinks of ;)