New exhaust / brake padel problems

• AnxiousCowboy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2010 08:30 #387889 by AnxiousCowboy
New exhaust / brake padel problems was created by AnxiousCowboy
I recently cut off the shotty old exhaust which had been welded way too many times and was still cracked. Unfortunately I had to cut it kind of high on the header. That coupled with the fact that the new muffler is a wider megaphone have lead to two problems. The center stand hung down much lower (SCCCCCRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPPEEEEE) and the brake pedal is rubbing against it. I can still full depress the rear brake if need be, so it's not dangerous, but I've been braking heavier on the front because I don't want to mess up the new muffler.

I just flat out removed the center stand, When I need to store it I can slap it back on. But what about the pedal? It seems like a bit of a setup the way it's on there so I doubt any aftermarkets will fit without a lot of modification and I cannot weld.

What are my options? I figure I would either have to bend the pedal somehow or bend the header somehow.... What should I do and how should I go about it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AnxiousCowboy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2010 08:39 #387890 by AnxiousCowboy
Replied by AnxiousCowboy on topic New exhaust / brake padel problems

More
03 Aug 2010 08:55 #387891 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic New exhaust / brake padel problems
i cant really tell by your picture, but you might be able to use the frame mounts for your center stand to pull your exhaust in a bit. I ended up using my center stand mounts to support my exhaust. I was planning to make a custom mount, but the center stand mounts worked perfectly.

Also, you could try adjusting your rear brake. If you adjust the setting, you might be able to change the stiffness of the pedal so that it wont touch the muffler when fully depressed.

1979 KZ650B3

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
03 Aug 2010 09:12 #387894 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic New exhaust / brake padel problems
Good advise...

I have always had my center stand off.
The metal rod from an old caulking gun makes the perfect quick fit for the center stand/holes on the frame, and its plenty strong enough. (I've jumped up and down on it :P ).

GL!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• AnxiousCowboy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2010 21:53 #388022 by AnxiousCowboy
I'm not worried about the center stand... I'm more worried about the brake pedal... I don't think I can remount the muffler, it's hung straight off the header and I can't adjust the brake enough to get it to not rub....

More
03 Aug 2010 23:08 #388038 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic New exhaust / brake padel problems
Mark it and take it to someone with an oxy-acetylene torch and have them heat it, bend it out, and then back in. Make sure you can still have the adjustment screw contact it as well. I had to do this with the kick start lever on my Hondasaki dirtbike. Just be careful as the tube may not bend well if you need to move it a lot.

Oh, this will probably toast the chrome, but at least you won't be hitting the pipe.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2010 14:03 #388172 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic New exhaust / brake padel problems
The V and H pipe on my KZ was too high to clear the brake pedal. I mounted my pedal on top of the pipe,had a welder heat and straighten it and then tilted the footpiece in some.looks and works fine.

• AnxiousCowboy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Aug 2010 20:40 #388276 by AnxiousCowboy
got any pics?