Carbon Fiber Bodywork

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
26 Jul 2010 20:58 #386124 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
Well, I suppose I should get started on prototype #2, eh fellas? I also need to order some more tooling gelcoat so that I can make a right side mold, and start looking at the tail piece....

Yeah Justin, a respirator is a really good idea too B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
26 Jul 2010 21:18 #386131 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
Sorry, that I couldn't warn you about that before you got to experience the itch. As they say time heals all wounds.

As for 2.0, the reality is that it's a bike I already have. I want to get the zx-10r to a 10. I'd say its about an 8.5 right now. If you want to make a set of CF fairings, then I'll donate the plugs. :laugh:

If I were to speculate what the next whole build would be... hmm... Any bike that got customization would have to be a cheapie or something common like my current KZ. I really like camaroguy's gpz. Maybe another KZ1000 with some extra atmospheric pressure. A MkII. As for other makes, I would like to play with a RD400, and then there is the dream of a spondon framed CBX. I am just entranced by the sound of a CBX. If I ever go blind, then I want to ride around on the back of a CBX. Actually, if I found a complete CBX, that would deserve a proper restoration. It all depends on what I could find.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jul 2010 21:36 #386134 by porchev914
I know a guy that wants to off load one of his CBX's but it'd be WAY too rich for your blood, I think. I can sympathize with the dream of increasing manifold pressure above atmospheric :laugh: Since my gpz70 had a few "extra" missing parts I got the guy to come down an extra $200 on the price. But I need alot of parts to complete the intake system including an ECU :S

Lets see, ZX10 fairings replicated in CF. Hell Josh, after I'm through learning here, you should be able to take my lessons and make your own without too much fuss B)

FRANKEN Z!

• testarossa
  • User
More
26 Jul 2010 22:35 #386142 by testarossa
I don't have enough skin left on my fingers to sand out all the molds necessary for all those fairings.

I couldn't even imagine a CBX on dirt. Is that supercharged? I thought I saw him mention something like that.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jul 2010 22:40 #386143 by porchev914
Yup, it's supercharged. He has two and wants to off load one. I had never really heard a CBX before, it reminds me of an old Formula 1 car or a Ferrari. It does have a sexy sound when wound out :woohoo:

FRANKEN Z!

• testarossa
  • User
More
27 Jul 2010 03:32 #386171 by testarossa
Exactly, every time I hear one at full song, I think of Emerson Fittapaldi's Lotus Formula 1 car.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
27 Jul 2010 08:21 #386216 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
wowzers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
major wood factor,reporting for duty sir!!!!!!!!
i have carbon fiber cloth and stock z1r side covers,that and the knowledge i am gleaning from your thread is about all i have so far.BUT the closer you get the closer i am getting,uhm.to getting ready to start,:laugh: .
keep up the good work you are inspiring people.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
27 Jul 2010 10:56 #386248 by AlienTech
Replied by AlienTech on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
porchev914 wrote:

Kawiconvert, I have the idea in the back of my mind, but you jump into a different realm of composites when you need production machined tolerance parts to contain engine fluids. I know it can be done, but I believe it requires skill and experience I do not yet posses :whistle: ...yet
I do have the carbon/kevlar hybrid fabric... :laugh:

Been following your amazing progress with your project, beautiful work :)

My wife worked in an aircraft parts factory and moved from metal working to composites. She used to do the flaps for some big aircraft, don't remember which though but the autoclave was 20ft in diameter :) and they had 2.

They also did a lot of smaller stuff and when they needed to mate a carbon fiber part to something else that held fluids they used an aluminum mating surface. Sooo... take an old valve cover, mill off all but the mating surface and use that part in the layup :)

1976 KZ900

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2010 11:08 #386251 by porchev914
Awww shucks Leon :blush: As far as reproducing stock covers go, the challenge there will be the mounting points. I know you have the machines and the skill, perhaps you can turn new push tabs with a flanged base, and epoxy those to the carbon shell....you're a smart guy with a full shop of tools, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out B)

Great idea Alientech! Or should I say, great idea Boeing/MD/General Dynamics/Northrup/Airbus/General Atomics... :laugh: I'll go ahead with the other cover and the tailpiece, and save the tricky engine parts for AFTER the bike is completed and running. I wanna ride damn it, and my GpZ isn't complete enough to make run either :angry:

FRANKEN Z!

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
27 Jul 2010 11:20 #386255 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
VERY COOL !B)
Congrats.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2010 11:39 - 27 Jul 2010 19:46 #386269 by porchev914
After thinking about the quality issues i had with the foam core material i'm gonna try a layup tonight with the core mat. With a core mat i can do the entire laminate at 1 time so i should have some more pictures by this evening. I preped the mold last night so i will b ready to rock and roll when i get home from work this afternoon.

On a side note I weighed the ABS and CF covers. My CF cover was .1 oz heavier...... gonna have to work on that....

FRANKEN Z!
Last edit: 27 Jul 2010 19:46 by porchev914.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
27 Jul 2010 11:40 #386270 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
no riding untill your done with the the valve stem covers your making from melted down lepricons wands.....then maybe

porchev914 wrote:

Awww shucks Leon :blush: As far as reproducing stock covers go, the challenge there will be the mounting points. I know you have the machines and the skill, perhaps you can turn new push tabs with a flanged base, and epoxy those to the carbon shell....you're a smart guy with a full shop of tools, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out B)

Great idea Alientech! Or should I say, great idea Boeing/MD/General Dynamics/Northrup/Airbus/General Atomics... :laugh: I'll go ahead with the other cover and the tailpiece, and save the tricky engine parts for AFTER the bike is completed and running. I wanna ride damn it, and my GpZ isn't complete enough to make run either :angry:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife