THE PAINTING NEWB!

More
28 Jan 2010 07:01 - 28 Jan 2010 07:06 #345068 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic THE PAINTING NEWB!
Please note that the rattlecan paints found at the auto parts store or the HomeDepot are not fuel resistant. You could top coat w a 2K (2-part) clear: two components are separated within the can until a device is actuated, after which time you have about 24 hrs to use the product.

I used this how-to when doing the green tank - ChuckHawks.com - Harley Paintin' For the Under-funded and Under-skilled . The DupliColor Truck, Van & SUV paint that I used is not fuel proof. TheGSResources.com website has a how-to in the Technical section somewhere. It's longer & seemed more technical, so I just kinda used the Harley Paintin' article as a guide.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jan 2010 07:06 by JMKZHI.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2010 07:19 #345069 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic THE PAINTING NEWB!
"The DupliColor Truck, Van & SUV paint that I used is not fuel proof."... Yup!

For the most part, no paint without clear coating is truly Fuel Proof... Sure, some hold up better then others but none that I know of within reason or for the normal consumer can get his hands on is 100% proof...

Can clears, nope tested quite a few and none held up either... Henceforth 2 or 3 part clears is the only way to go....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
28 Jan 2010 07:30 #345070 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic THE PAINTING NEWB!
Rock, The duplicolor you used is that a laquer based paint?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Jan 2010 07:31 #345071 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic THE PAINTING NEWB!
Go get all the stuff you will need, adhesion promoter, primer sandpaper etc. that is described above and before you start on the bike you should find some scrap metal, or plastic similar to your side covers, and do a practice run following all the steps described in the tutorials. This way you will get familiar with the steps necessary for prep work, and become familiar with the paint product so you can apply properly heavy coats so you don't get runs.

More
28 Jan 2010 07:35 #345072 by jacosort1
Replied by jacosort1 on topic THE PAINTING NEWB!
big thanks to OMR here, and on that note yes i have the tools to get that,i will only have to get a spray gun witch will be no prob. nd' i gues i will just have to be that much more cautous when filling up ;)

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Jan 2010 07:48 #345074 by 9am53
jacosort1 wrote:

big thanks to OMR here, and on that note yes i have the tools to get that,i will only have to get a spray gun witch will be no prob. nd' i gues i will just have to be that much more cautous when filling up ;)

If you have the spray gun and are going to spray your paint with it why don't you spray with a urethane clearcoat afterwards? laquers are really easy to apply and have benefits, but they are quite sensitive to solvents, and even a drop of gas that you miss could ruin the paint...I figure you might as well go for the 2 part clear, heck OMR and I used it and we don't have a spraygun!

More
28 Jan 2010 08:36 #345077 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic THE PAINTING NEWB!
Since you're going to use a spray gun, then go ahead & get good paint. That stuff about being careful during fill-ups doesn't work. Trust me. hee.

More
28 Jan 2010 10:46 #345084 by jacosort1
Replied by jacosort1 on topic THE PAINTING NEWB!
If you have the spray gun and are going to spray your paint with it why don't you spray with a urethane clearcoat afterwards? laquers are really easy to apply and have benefits, but they are quite sensitive to solvents, and even a drop of gas that you miss could ruin the paint...I figure you might as well go for the 2 part clear, heck OMR and I used it and we don't have a spraygun!

~ indeed, i wont go with laquers, i plan to use clear! wish me luck starting it tmw!

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Jan 2010 10:55 #345086 by 9am53
jacosort1 wrote:

~ indeed, i wont go with laquers, i plan to use clear! wish me luck starting it tmw!

Make sure the clearcoat you get is 2 part...it's a little more money, but you won't regret it.

More
28 Jan 2010 12:03 #345101 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic THE PAINTING NEWB!
By none other than the Forum Favorite.

www.cyclemadness.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2088

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Jan 2010 14:08 #345111 by 9am53
Yeah, i use the 3M rubbing and polishing compounds too and they are really great

More
01 Feb 2010 20:49 #345966 by AnxiousCowboy
Replied by AnxiousCowboy on topic THE PAINTING NEWB!
What about painting the engine parts? I would love to get the hazy aluminum on the kz440 to a glossy black