resin or bondo...

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
25 Nov 2009 04:23 #335815 by 9am53
resin or bondo... was created by 9am53
I stripped the paint from my sidecovers, and will soon be doing the tail and tank as well. What should I use to fill imperfections in the plastic, fiberglass resin, or bondo? I was thinking resin for the plastic and bondo for the tank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2009 05:08 #335819 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic resin or bondo...
How deep are the imperfections you're speaking of?

If not deep: For plastics, adhesion promoter ALWAYS then use the primer with filler then wet sand smooth once cured...

It will be like glass for your paint then clear coat.... ;)

Gregg should be able to provide some further insight for deep scratch preps... :)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
25 Nov 2009 05:16 #335821 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic resin or bondo...
For the most part they are small, and once I sand it down some more to smooth it most of them will go away, but there are a couple gouges in the tail that will need a little more than a high solids primer. The tank is mostly ok, so I think I will do the filler primer on the tank, it's just the scrapes on the tail mainly.

One other thing I need help with is one of the push-in prongs that hold the side covers to the bike has broken off. Luckily I still ahve it, and a PO had used a piece of cork and glued it to the back of the side cover. Would fiberflass bond to the plastic well enough to build up a base for the prong to stay in? I would post a pic, but I am at my desk...

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
25 Nov 2009 05:21 #335824 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic resin or bondo...
For the prong, Bill has a tutorial on plastic repair. If I recall that would involve some fiberglass mesh and abs Cement. Good luck!

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
25 Nov 2009 05:59 #335831 by 9am53
I looked through all the filebase, and found nothing on plastic repair, where can I find this tutorial? thanks

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
25 Nov 2009 06:05 #335832 by 9am53
found it, thanks

More
25 Nov 2009 06:18 - 25 Nov 2009 06:19 #335834 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic resin or bondo...
As Dave mentioned an adhesion promoter is wise to use. One or two light coats is ample. If you have a local auto paint supply store they can advise you on what to use for plastic repairs. Although for as little an area your dealing with that might get expensive. Sometimes regular body fillers will work fine. I would use a 2k urethane primer though. It will fill imperfections with minimal coats. Let primers cure well though. This will avoid shrinking later. Always good to double prime to eliminate that problem. Bill did a piece on plastic repair using an ABS cement. I have seen it and it seems to work fine. You can also find some epoxies at auto parts stores that are made for plastics. I have used them on occasion and also on my own bike. Holds well and did the trick for me.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2009 06:19 by arai59.

More
25 Nov 2009 21:03 #335964 by dragnkaw1428
Replied by dragnkaw1428 on topic resin or bondo...
What we use at work in the bodyshop for plastic repairs is Lord Fusor 100EZ after that stuff dries its on there and you dont have to worry about it breaking again. You can get it at an automotive paint store.

Andy

More
26 Nov 2009 00:05 #335986 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic resin or bondo...
Sounds like Lord Fusor 100EZ is the way to go,...
but bondo seems to work well too.
I went as far as to use bondo to level out the indentations from when I removed the Kawasaki emblems off of the gas tank & both side covers.
It has held the paint well so far.
It has been 18 months to two years.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
26 Nov 2009 00:23 #335988 by dragnkaw1428
Replied by dragnkaw1428 on topic resin or bondo...
Qdude wrote:

Sounds like Lord Fusor 100EZ is the way to go,...
but bondo seems to work well too.
I went as far as to use bondo to level out the indentations from when I removed the Kawasaki emblems off of the gas tank & both side covers.
It has held the paint well so far.
It has been 18 months to two years.

No doubt when you need to do fill work on metal bondo is the only way to go. The Fusor is just for glueing broken tabs and stuff like that on plastic

Andy

More
26 Nov 2009 09:01 #336029 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic resin or bondo...
ive got some sidecovers i eliminated the emblems on more than 25 years ago.i beveled out the holes then filled em in with a hot glue gun and sanded em down,dont laugh the imron is still on that bike. the guy who painted it thought i was nuts too ! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Nov 2009 16:02 #336323 by 9am53
I got some ABS cement, after cleaning my plastic off with brake cleaner I used the cement to stick the tab back on and it worked really well. I tried to move it around and it is really solid. I ended up using adhesion promoter and filler primer on the plastic side covers. Most of the scratches came out nicely with the 400 grit paper, and whatever was left will go away after the primer gets sanded down.

Thanks for all the help guys. will use bondo on the tank, and follow it up with the filler primer as it seems to look like it is really wasy to shape and smooth out.