Bum Stop Seat - ideas?

More
03 Nov 2009 12:27 #331313 by YUKABODOS
Bum Stop Seat - ideas? was created by YUKABODOS
thinking of making my own seat after determining that the preformed airtech seats are not designed specifically for the KZ 650.

Has anyone have any ideas other than the gas tank chop method?

Today I was at the dollar store and saw a metal pale and a lightbulb went off in my head. Why couldn't I modify a pale, ie cut it in half and doctor it up and then attach it to the seat pan? Just a thought, but I was wondering if there are any other ideas out there that might also work?

Yukabodos Buddy!!!
:blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2009 13:39 #331319 by Tommotbird
Replied by Tommotbird on topic Bum Stop Seat - ideas?
Cool idea,
I did the same thing at the 99p shop here in the UK, bought myself a plastic bucket then with a few modifications I end up with this!!!!

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4
Attachments:

More
03 Nov 2009 15:46 #331339 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Bum Stop Seat - ideas?
You could build your own with fiberglass. I made my own a couple of years ago. Its not too hard. A bit time consuming but very enjoyable.

I have a thread detailing the process I took: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=6&id=206578

Here's a pic:

More
03 Nov 2009 16:27 #331348 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Bum Stop Seat - ideas?
I also saw a really cool seat made with a military surplus helmet, the metal Korean war era type. The helmet was cut in half and it perfectly fit the pan and was welded on (I think, may have been riveted). That was over on www.dotheton.com , feeling too lazy to look for the link...sorry

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
03 Nov 2009 17:14 #331355 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Bum Stop Seat - ideas?
anarki650 wrote:

I also saw a really cool seat made with a military surplus helmet, the metal Korean war era type. The helmet was cut in half and it perfectly fit the pan and was welded on (I think, may have been riveted). That was over on www.dotheton.com , feeling too lazy to look for the link...sorry

Is this the one you're remembering? dotheton.com/index.php?topic=4555.0

More
03 Nov 2009 19:41 #331394 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Bum Stop Seat - ideas?
I'll have to say the guy that butchered the Kawasaki 90 should be shot. It "was" decent looking before. I'd rather let a motorcycle sit out in the yard and rust for 50 yrs than sell it to someone that does that to it. I guess my dad said it pretty good when he said when he sold something he never wants to see it again. The Kawasaki 90 is exactly that idea in pictures. My gosh, why oh why? OK I haven't whined in a while and will say no more. :X

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
03 Nov 2009 19:47 #331396 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Bum Stop Seat - ideas?
HerrDeacon wrote:

anarki650 wrote:

Is this the one you're remembering? dotheton.com/index.php?topic=4555.0

That's the one!!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
04 Nov 2009 02:16 #331416 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Bum Stop Seat - ideas?
YUKABODOS wrote:

Has anyone have any ideas other than the gas tank chop method?

Curious why not the gas tank method? I've seen them riveted on, welded, etc. If you need a tank, go on ebay and find a cheap slightly rusted or dented one.

If I hadn't done the welded one, I'd do a fiberglass seat/fender. Just my preferences.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust