big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
27 Oct 2009 19:15 #330003 by newOld_kz1000
big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent? was created by newOld_kz1000
Recent events (!) have me abandoning all notions of 'compressed air' or 'ice and freezer' methods of popping gas tank dents.

What about a strong magnet? My idea: using a 'Rare Earth' magnet (super strong magnet type), put one RE magnet on the tank inside behind the dent, and put another RE magnet stuck to the outside of the dent so it sticks hard to the other RE magnet already on the inside of the dent.

It's a BIG, and shallow dent -- should be easy to pull out.

Another variation is to use a strong electromagnet instead of using Rare Earth magnets.

Anyone shoot holes in this?
The dent's too big to bondo.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2009 19:45 #330011 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
got a picture of dent? B) is metal stretched really bad? lots of ways to fix it,just need a visual

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
27 Oct 2009 21:01 #330018 by LokiG
Replied by LokiG on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
Why is ice out? I have had lots of success with dry ice and a heat gun haven't found many dents it wouldn't get out. It can also just be rubbed around metal surfaces to get small dings out and make it smooth again.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Oct 2009 22:44 #330030 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
LokiG wrote:

Why is ice out? I have had lots of success with dry ice and a heat gun haven't found many dents it wouldn't get out. It can also just be rubbed around metal surfaces to get small dings out and make it smooth again.

Holy rock-n-roll, dry ice and heat gun, who'da thunk it.
I was thinking about the 'put water in the gas tank, put the gas tank in the freezer' approach I've read about.

Where can I buy dry ice? I already have a heat gun.

What is the process? I don't have a photo but the dent is the circumference of your open hand including the heel of the palm all the way to the tips of your fingers. It's not very 'stretched out' because that would imply a deep dent, and this one's shallow -- only about 1/8". I think the bike got bumped by something -- it certainly is not a 'dropped' dent because it's so shallow.

How do you use the dry ice and heat gun to remove the dent?

More
27 Oct 2009 23:50 #330038 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
The problem with the magnet is you have to get it flush with the surface to get it to "hold". If the surface is a dent, it's an irregular shape which is going to put air gaps between the metal and the face of the magnet. I don't think it will work because of that.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Oct 2009 07:38 #330070 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
for the dry ice method I think you cool the dent with the CO2 which causes the metal to shrink and then you hit it with the heat gun which expands the metal quickly and p[ops it back out. I'm sure you can find a better write up if you google it though

More
28 Oct 2009 08:53 #330084 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
There is a pretty cool video on you tube that shows how the ice / gun method is used. Try to search for it and see if you have any luck.

More
28 Oct 2009 14:21 #330129 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
be very carefull using dry ice,it will imediately frostbite your fingers or worse! i prefer lead over plastic filler myself,eastwood actually sells leadfree bodysolder now which is supposed to be easier to use. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
28 Oct 2009 14:51 #330143 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
Took mine to a dentless repair guy, he did it with a little spoon deal. Cost $150 but you couldnt find it if I didnt show you where it was, paint was perfect

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
28 Oct 2009 15:08 #330146 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
You can probibly buy dry ice at a local grocery store.

But ive seen the dry ice method work before on cars. Give it a try.

I actually fixed a dent a bit ago by taking a strategically bent piece of a metal shaft that i made and put it through the filler hole and pushed the dent from the inside. I wrapped duct tape around the end of the shaft so it didnt dent it. it worked fine. It was on the top side of tank though so it wasnt hard to get to, it was about the size of a fist.

Good luck with it man.

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

More
28 Oct 2009 16:08 - 28 Oct 2009 16:12 #330152 by tooocool49723
Replied by tooocool49723 on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
Well, your magnet would scratch the paint and metal, and if it was strong enough to bend metal would probably leave an impression of the magnet on the inside as well causing rust on the inside... not good.

I've popped several dents on my car using the heat gun method, here's how it works

First: HEAT the area with the heat gun, you want it hot enough that you cant touch it for any length of time without getting burned, makes the metal flexable.

Then, take a can of compressed air aka dust off cleaner used for cleaning keyboards. Turn the can upside down, this causes you to spray LIQUID CO2 onto the dent. Dont spray it on your fingers, it's VERY cold.

The instant cooling will cause the metal to contract very rapidly, and pop out the dent.

(Video doesn't take long to heat up because it's a black car, sitting in the sun, and very thin sheet metal (Mazda RX7)).

'82 KZ550 "Project"
First bike, 30k miles

Ann Arbor, Mi
Last edit: 28 Oct 2009 16:12 by tooocool49723.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Oct 2009 08:22 #330308 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic big mofo magnet to pull out a tank dent?
Well, thanks to all about the various techniques.

This tank is to be repainted, so whichever method I use, I'm not concerned about the surface finish as I am planning to surface prep/prime/base coat/clear coat it after I repair the dent.

Because of the very shallow nature of this dent and its large circumference, I'm concerned that application of either dry ice (I've seen some videos on that fix on Youtube) or the heat gun/Co2 approach will be trickier than with, say, a smaller dent.

So on the '1st pass' I think I'll use a combination of suggestions I've gotten here, specifically the 'strategically shaped metal rod' and a heat gun to soften the metal of the tank -- since this dent is so shallow, I'll heat the outside and push from the inside at one end of the dent, and it that succeeds I'll work my way across the rest of the dent.

Then I expect I'll end up with a somewhat irregular area to work with, with probably a couple smaller dents, smaller than the open-hand-sized imprint I have now -- so for the 2nd pass, I'll work the smaller dents with dry ice or heat gun/Co2.

Well, since I've pulled that idea right out of the blue -- this '1st Pass/2nd Pass' idea -- I'm wondering from you folks with more dent-repair experience (I have zero) if this sounds OK...? I just don't have any past experience to draw on here, neither personal or observational experience. So if you can shoot holes in this idea, I'd be open to hearing why! Thanks.