Would like your comments

More
13 Sep 2009 10:34 #321334 by 78KZMAN
Replied by 78KZMAN on topic Would like your comments
You are correct....it is the decal that bubbled during the clear coat. The body shop is going to remove the decal and paint the stripes back on. He will then spray another coat of clear. Does that sound like a fix?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2009 10:40 #321336 by 78KZMAN
Link14,

This is where the problem lies.....they did not follow the instructions pertaining to the decal installation. The clear went on right after the decals were positioned. I even hi-lighted the instructions for them, but they said that the clear coat needed to be applied within one hour. Hopefully you can share this info with your painter so you won't have the same issues that I am dealing with.

More
13 Sep 2009 13:05 #321357 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Would like your comments
Have it redone. Any reputable shop will fix it. Besides...it doesn't matter what others may think. It bothers YOU or you wouldn't have brought it up so it has to be fixed, otherwise it will always eat at you. You went to this trouble to have it look right and unless it does, you will never be satisfied with it. Most people would probably never notice it, even up close, but you did so fix it or it will be a belemish on your bike...in YOUR mind...and that is what matters most!

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
13 Sep 2009 13:43 - 13 Sep 2009 13:46 #321361 by pitblue/kz
Replied by pitblue/kz on topic Would like your comments
you've choose a nice look but think about it every time you look at your bike it'll be the first thing you'll see this will drive you crazy
be cautious about a shop that will send a paint out looking like this. bringing it back could cause them to be vengeful. its not right but it does happen just be aware
Last edit: 13 Sep 2009 13:46 by pitblue/kz.

More
14 Sep 2009 05:42 #321513 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic Would like your comments
78KZMAN wrote:

Link14,

This is where the problem lies.....they did not follow the instructions pertaining to the decal installation. The clear went on right after the decals were positioned. I even hi-lighted the instructions for them, but they said that the clear coat needed to be applied within one hour. Hopefully you can share this info with your painter so you won't have the same issues that I am dealing with.

Another problem was following the dry time before applying the decals. I think Reproduction Decals recommends allowing the paint to dry 10 days before applying decals. They suggest : base coat color, a coat of clear, dry 10 days, scuff clear, apply decals , dry 2 days, apply final clear.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

More
14 Sep 2009 06:08 #321521 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Would like your comments
Thats either air bubbles under the stripe in that case they should have known or most likely solvent pop. This wouldn't happen if the undercoat was dry . After the B/c was applyed you have 24 hours to clearcoat . any longer you will have to sand it scuff it and on met colors it will leave streaks so more topcoat needs to be applyed. I have applyed many decals and had no ptoblems as long has the color is dried compleatly. They should pay for new stripes you did they messed em up . Don't let them paint it on .Thats patching it No No. They lied about having to apply the clear in 1 hour you have 24 hours. I have 34 years doing this stuff..:woohoo:

More
14 Sep 2009 10:06 #321557 by chance
PaintWorkz answer is the best you'll get can't argue that. Your bike does look good if not for that spot . I don't know what your paint job cost you But i know what I would charge 800.00 and up for that job. Any good paints not cheap and neither are those decals.

More
18 Sep 2009 19:38 #322440 by Splandman
Replied by Splandman on topic Would like your comments
Not trying to argue, but I'm really just curious. Why is it bad to paint on the decals rather than use stickers?

Current Bikes
1980 KZ1000E

More
19 Sep 2009 08:00 #322499 by chance
Nothing wrong with painting them on. This Bike has decals under the clear. Has I understand the guy who painted it said he could tape off the stripe and spray gold over the decal blending it in than reclearing the tank it would work but make the job he payed for not so nice...As for just painting stripes on works great I spray em on all the time custom striping..

More
19 Sep 2009 08:37 #322506 by 78KZMAN
Actually, the painter said he will remove the decal and then paint the area where the decal was. I am hopeful that it will look the same as the decal. BTW, I dropped the tank off last Monday.....I'll let you all know how it turns out.

More
19 Sep 2009 16:47 #322569 by chance
Was the stripe under the clear or on top ? Thanks and yes let us know..

More
20 Sep 2009 18:50 #322889 by hmeric7
Replied by hmeric7 on topic Would like your comments
i htink u hsould get it redone. i do body work everyday and painting and thats a USUAL sign of the paint not adhering to itself or rust or water under the paint. so defintally id be getting that redone

1977 KZ 1000 LTD