Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 20 Oct 2005 17:37 #3075

• bluegill
  • bluegill's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Anybody got any alternative methods of attaching the emblems after a repaint--other than the screws? I think I read a while back that some were using adhesives.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 20 Oct 2005 18:16 #3093

• John68
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
3M attachment tape.

sometimes called double sided tape, emblem adhesive, sticky stuff... anyhow... advance auto parts has it, so does a lot of other places that sell 3m stuff, or automotive supplies in general.

wipe with water based wax and grease remover before sticking the tape to anything.

bon appetit!
John

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 20 Oct 2005 18:29 #3098

• bluegill
  • bluegill's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Cool. Thanks John

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 20 Oct 2005 18:55 #3108

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
The problem with using the double sided tape (or any other adhesive between the badge and the body part) is that it only sticks as well as the paint underneath it, and if you pull it off you screw up your paint job. I have found a better solution.

For the tank badges, use the original screws (metric size replacements can be found at any hardware store for mere dimes). If you have stripped threads in the tank, just put a small amount of JB Weld or other good metal glue in the screw hole, then thread the screw in when the glue is mostly dry.

For the side cover badges, if you have any of the mounting pins at all left, push them into place on the side covers, and put JB Weld or epoxy glue on the backside of the side cover around the pins. If your pins are totally gone, take a thin nail (the kind with a flat head), and glue the head to the back of the badge with JB Weld or epoxy. When it is fully hardened, put the badge on just like the original.

I have done this with my bikes, and have not lost a badge in 12,000 miles of riding. I've put the badges on and off without damage to the paint, either.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 20 Oct 2005 22:45 #3158

• John68
  • User
Apeman,
to safely remove attachment tape, you must cut the emblem off with a specially designed razor box, first. (razor tool is around $2) Then, after the emblem is off, there are special rubber pinstripe erasers that work on a regular high speed drill, or die grinder(they are about $6) you simply spin up the rubber wheel, and slowly work it across the adhesive, and it will eliminate it perfectly, every time, without paint damage. sometimes the wheels leave some rubber residue, and that must be cleaned off with a little bit of rubbing compound on a dry cloth.
Most of the time, with bodywork, it just a matter of having the right tools for the job. That's where it hurts to be a bodyman, vs. being a mechanic. Mechanics don't have to buy anywhere near as many tools as bodymen do, and all bodymen need all the tools that a regular mechanic needs.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to let you in on some trade secrets, not intending to stir the pot in anyway.

Cheers!

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 21 Oct 2005 06:48 #3201

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
John... a bit off topic but I have an 80 Caddy Coupe De Ville. It has a big V ornament under the trunk opening mechanism. The V was originally attached with some black goop that looks like tar. I parked the Caddy in the sun one day and the black goop behind the V melted and my V slid down about 4 inches. I pulled it off and cleaned the black goop off with Goo-Away which didn't harm the paint. Will this 3M stuff melt in the hot Texas sun if I use it to re-stick the V?

Thanks
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 21 Oct 2005 10:32 #3241

• GargantuChet
  • User
The 3M tape is a foam core with adhesive on either side. It's used quite a bit by body shops, so I'd be REALLY surprised if it melted on you.

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 21 Oct 2005 10:53 #3245

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
For what it's worth, I just re-attached my repainted side cover badges by using a small 6x32 die and cutting a thread on each pin them used s/s nylon lockwashe nuts with a dab of loctite threadlocker on each. Cut the threads 1/4 turn then back-off, 1/ turn etc. Worked well.

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 21 Oct 2005 15:49 #3299

• John68
  • User
WG,
What Chet said. :)

Originally, the badge was attached with an attachment tape. The black goo sounds like strip caulk that someone used to reattach it at some point.

3M Acrylic Plus attachment tape is a very aggressive holding tape. In fact, it you buy it in a blister card package, you will not be able to pull the roll away from the cardboard package. it will just rip the cardboard and take it wiht the roll.

products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_m...eHandler/output_html

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 21 Oct 2005 19:25 #3334

• arai59
  • Visitor
Sandy used duck tape to hold his emblems on.

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 04 Dec 2005 12:57 #11739

• mykznme
  • User

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

Attaching tank and side cover emblems 04 Dec 2005 15:25 #11778

• GargantuChet
  • User
mykznme wrote:

heres another product to try

www.autotoolmart.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st...did=9476&p_catid=118

Isn't 3M the greatest?

• Page: