How about dents?

• Iron Duke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • what are you rebelling against?
More
07 Jul 2009 22:41 #305278 by Iron Duke
How about dents? was created by Iron Duke
Have a fairly small dent on tank been looking on the web ,don't think paintless dent removal will work, so now I'm looking at auto body suction cups, 2" 4" ,and the products like ding king, dent out, and pops a dent these are used with the glue and center piece and a cross bar. Have any of you learned gents used anything like this? do you think these work or not apenions welcome the more the better thanks Duke

1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2009 04:34 #305294 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic How about dents?

It might work.
...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
08 Jul 2009 07:01 #305309 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic How about dents?
where is the dent?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Jul 2009 09:20 #305404 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic How about dents?
I have no experience with the CO2 method, but it looks interesting. I'd try it first on something I don't care too much about just in case there is some negative impact on the paint.

The method in the DentTime video is best left to a professional. Not only does it require special tools, a good deal of skill is needed as well. A noob can easily turn a small, smooth dent into a moonscape in no time. I'm sure you've seen a beater cage that some goober tried to beat a dent out from inside of the trunk.:S

In eather case, if the dent is sharp enough to have cracked the paint or stretch the metal, more traditional bodywork is likely in order.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Iron Duke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Jul 2009 10:26 #305423 by Iron Duke
Replied by Iron Duke on topic How about dents?
Have already tried the hair dyer compressed air method, that does not, repete does not work, The dent is 2-3 inches above area where petcock is located just at the start of the curve going to the flat of the top of the tank and 3 inches forward of front of seat. thanks again guys

1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha

More
08 Jul 2009 12:03 #305436 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic How about dents?
In my younger years I used to collect beer cans. I would get dents out of them with Lady Finger Firecrackers. I am sure the method would work on a tank with a larger cracker. Maybe a Black Cat. I would be very carefull. You wouldn't want to win a Darwin Award...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
08 Jul 2009 19:54 #305542 by JR
Replied by JR on topic How about dents?
I had a dent about 3 inches across towards the back end of the tank near the saddle and where I could not use any tool to get at it from the inside. Luckily the edge was not creased.

I started witha 2 inch suction cup. Pulled once and ended with two smaller dents. again no creases. Next I used the ding king. The thingy with the hot glue and the centre piece and the cross bar. It actually worked pretty well. I had to do it about 10 or more times on each of my 2 smaller dents. It did not get them out 100% but the end result is almost imperceptible. Almost. If you look close you can see and you can feel. The other thing to watch for is the paint. With my very last pull the darn thing pulled off a chip of paint which I repaired with a dab of colour match pen.

I tried the CO2 and hair dryer and you're right. It does not work. I could'nt get dry ice.

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
09 Jul 2009 03:31 #305580 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic How about dents?
The hot glue puller setups work quite well for areas you can't get to through the gas cap opening. It does take quite a few pulls to get a dent out of a tank do to the thickness of the metal. I ended up breaking most of the plastic pull cups but got the dent leveled out better than expected.

RP
www.paintworkz.com

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

• Iron Duke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2009 23:00 #305820 by Iron Duke
Replied by Iron Duke on topic How about dents?
Just ordered Ding King for the dings on the tank if it works I'll be sure to let ya all know thanks for all the input. Duke

1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha