Tips for Internally wiring handle bars.

More
25 Jun 2009 21:23 #302135 by Yojymbo!
Tips for Internally wiring handle bars. was created by Yojymbo!
I was having a hell of a time feeding my shrink wrapped wires down the clubman bars I got. I overcame the difficulty with some simple tools. A piece of extension cord or any strong flexible wire, some super glue, a peice of sting and a split shot fishing lure.

First attach the split shot to the string, jiggle it down from the controls hole to the exit hole. Now, super glue the sting to the piece of cord and glue the other end of the piece of cord to the wires coming from the controls, cut off the male bullet connections first or you will never make the turn, (do not remove the shink wrap it will protect the wires and make life easier, trust me). Now, greese up the shrink wrap with lithium greese and begin to pull it through via the wire you already threaded through. Next you use a wooden down to push the wire down the handle bars. Just insert it in the bar end and jam the wire down in the direction you want it to go while your partner pulls the cord to pull it along. I threaded my handle bars in this fashion in a matter of minutes, and the shrink wrap takes all the punishment so no shorted or stripped wires. The dowl pushes it around that corner and allows you to feed the wire into the bars much more easily. Plus don't forget a shitload of greese on the srink wrap to help it like easily. It looks so clean and nice, definately woth the extra effort. Your making a bad ass bike, don't be a lazy pussy and skimp on the internal wiring for your bars. Hope this helps somebody!!! It definately takes some of the pain out of doing the job.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kaw74z1
  • User
  • 0 to 60 in 15 minutes.
More
25 Jun 2009 21:28 #302138 by kaw74z1
Replied by kaw74z1 on topic Tips for Internally wiring handle bars.
Good Post B)

1974 Z1 with a MKII And a 1105 big bore kit 10.5 to 1 comp. Andrews 2x cams ported head dyna s with green coils V&H sidewinder pipe airshifter 4in.over arm

More
26 Jun 2009 11:09 #302238 by yousuredo
Replied by yousuredo on topic Tips for Internally wiring handle bars.
you can also use a shop vac and string...
~ tie string to the wires tape it good...
~ slide string in the bars
~ tape off all openings except the exit hole.
~ place vac on the hole you want them to exit
~ the vac pull the string to the hole
~ grab it and pull the wires through
Just another method for those wondering

'09 Night Train ~ '76 Kz900

More
26 Jun 2009 18:57 #302350 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic Tips for Internally wiring handle bars.
Pulling a whole pile of wiring through clubman bars is no easy task and tape would not work in my case. It took gorrilla glue and 2 people, one pulling and one feeding to make it go. The wooden dowel makes feeding it in easier because it pushes the wire through that first 90 degree turn and forces it into the Z shape of the bars that is the real bitch to get through.

More
26 Jun 2009 19:25 #302359 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Tips for Internally wiring handle bars.
I find that Castor oil works very well. It can either be left inside without damaging the wire insulation or can be washed out with any type of alcohol, if desired.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
29 Jun 2009 23:33 #303291 by 650 in Vegas
Replied by 650 in Vegas on topic Tips for Internally wiring handle bars.
Great post, but where are the pics of the finished project? I have been wanting to switch to clubmans for a while but the wiring always ruined the look. I'd like to see the end result without all the wires in the way.

79 KZ650 C - The best $200 I have ever spent!

More
30 Jun 2009 10:50 #303369 by joshmickelson
Replied by joshmickelson on topic Tips for Internally wiring handle bars.
when changing bars, is it ok to not internally wire them, if they were that way beforehand?

'78 KZ650

More
30 Jun 2009 11:08 - 30 Jun 2009 11:08 #303378 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic Tips for Internally wiring handle bars.
I'll will post a pic when I get a chance. It looks really nice, especially if you want to use a remote MC or SS brake line, that way there is not a bunch of extra lines crowding up your area. It looks so clean it makes me want to replace all the bliky lights/guages and switch to a remote ignition.

And no there is no requirment to wiring them internally, in fact Kawi found it to be too much work and quit doing it on their later KZs. It is however a requirment if you want to be Super #1 Lucky Cool.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2009 11:08 by Yojymbo!.