Keeping Polished Aluminum Polished

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 Jun 2009 14:38 #300660 by Kawickrice
Keeping Polished Aluminum Polished was created by Kawickrice
There seems to be plenty of threads for cleaning and polishing, but not much info on keeping the polished parts polished. I have found a product that I like for polishing but after time the aluminum oxidation returns, especially after getting wet. Does any one know of something to keep it shiny longer. The factory used a clear coating that turned yellow in time. Some pieces such as the gauge holder were painted black, I sandblasted mine to bare metal and sprayed a clear on it and it looks good, it has a metallic effect from the sand blaster but is not a polished piece, I believe it is a sort of pot metal. I also sandblast some steel parts that are prone to rusting and spray a clear on them, like the chain adjuster nut and misc nuts that I have yet to replace. The clear will not let them rust so that is good for now. The motor is a different story. I don't mind polishing parts but I would like the luster to last a little longer. I ride daily so it is a never ending thing. If I had a garaged show bike that was never ridden that would be easy, get it cleaned and polished, keep a cover on it and wipe it down occasionally. Since most of us ride our bikes I am sure I am not the only one fighting this. I would like to hear from others on how they keep up with this while riding daily. We can all benefit from this.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2009 16:22 #300736 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Keeping Polished Aluminum Polished
Once done polishing I use Never-Dull. I find it knocks down the gleam a little but leaves a protective coat that the next time I use it only and it is fast and pretty easy. But I like the look of metal over chrome anyway. But once a year it's Mothers day.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
19 Jun 2009 16:28 #300738 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Keeping Polished Aluminum Polished
i never used this myself but know guys on rockets who polish their frames and swear by it.
www.zoopseal.com

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
19 Jun 2009 16:56 #300742 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Keeping Polished Aluminum Polished
wax

More
19 Jun 2009 17:16 #300746 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Keeping Polished Aluminum Polished
This probalby won't help much unless someone remembers the name of the stuff, but there is a paint-like product that is more an adhesive then paint that you spray on polished parts. Once you have the parts polished, you spray this on and then coat it with a clear paint. It's supposed to give the paint something to grab to as paint doesn't grip a polished surface too well. Anyone remember the name of this stuff? Might be able to find it in search.I'm sure it was mentioned here a while back when someone was polishing their forks.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
19 Jun 2009 19:46 #300795 by Tedster
Replied by Tedster on topic Keeping Polished Aluminum Polished
NEVER DULL works better than any thing i have found but posted earlier will not bring out a high gloss on polished parts,but it is an excellent cleaner,i think i am gonna take my covers off and get them polished

Ted

More
20 Jun 2009 04:32 #300863 by Gman
Replied by Gman on topic Keeping Polished Aluminum Polished
I apply a coat of good quality wax after I'm done polishing. Helps keeps the aluminum from oxidizing. Touch up with Simichrome and apply wax once a year. Works well for me.

1978 KZ1000
1965 Harly Electra Glide
2002 Gold Wing
1974 Z1 900 project