Chrome spray paint vs. Chrome powdercoat

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
16 Jun 2009 10:00 #299627 by 9am53
Hi, so I have a black headlight bucket from an old Honduchi I am putting on my LTD. I don't want black, has anyone tried the "Chrome" spray paint I've seen at Canadian Tire? I have had great success refinishing guitars with spray cans, so I don't buy the whole aversion to spray paint, but I have never used the "chrome" stuff, so I dont know if it will look like ass. Secondly I have heard about chrome powdercoat, and that it looks like chrome and last forever...would the cost of sandblasting and coating be worth it for such a small item? Thirdly, if I decided to just colour match, would I go to Kawasaki for a can of touch up paint as you would for a car? or am I SOL as far as getting the correct colour?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2009 10:24 #299633 by Barber
Replied by Barber on topic Chrome spray paint vs. Chrome powdercoat
Myself, I'd stay away from the Chrome spray paint... everything I've saw it sprayed on just looked like a funky silver paint job...

I've heard good things about the chrome powdercoat, but haven't got to get an upclose look at it yet...

As for the matching the color, you could try www.colorrite.com I just ordered a couple cans of Kawasaki lime green for my boys KX and it was an exact match... but it wasn't what I'd call cheap at 30 something a can...

Green 76 Z900 A4

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
16 Jun 2009 12:00 #299657 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Chrome spray paint vs. Chrome powdercoat
Yeah, I figured as much with the chrome paint...I cant see how they could get a shiny "chrome" look when it's hard enough to get flakes to stand up right with aerosol metallic paints. I just thought it might be viable for something as small as my headlamp bucket...but then again, if it looks like crap it would be the first thing people saw...I'll look into the powdercoating

More
16 Jun 2009 12:27 #299662 by Tommotbird
Replied by Tommotbird on topic Chrome spray paint vs. Chrome powdercoat
My local Harley garage here in the UK keep singing the praises of Chrome powdercoat.

Haven't seen any finished items myself but I am told that it is a little darker than real chrome plating.

Good enough for a Harley though :evil:

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
16 Jun 2009 12:35 #299664 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Chrome spray paint vs. Chrome powdercoat
I haven't seen the chrome powder coating, but I do have some of that Chrome paint, and to me it looks more like semi polished aluminum.
It looks pretty good temporarily, but it won't hold up very long. I wouldn't use it on a headlight bucket, or anything else you don't want to constantly re-do. I just use it to hide my rusty bolt heads.:lol:

More
16 Jun 2009 13:33 - 16 Jun 2009 13:40 #299677 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Chrome spray paint vs. Chrome powdercoat
why don't you paint it to match your paint job? Just a suggestion. Chrome powdercoat? Hmmm. Have to see that but for one piece it won't be cheap. Ok well if you google it the coating looks just like the chrome spray paint only a little more gray looking. Chrome is chrome. If you want it chrome then get it plated if that is cost prohibitive then paint it the same as your tank. With the chrome ring it will look cool. I have seen lots of kaws done like that and it is cool but chrome spray will say to everyone "I know you are looking at me and thinking that I might if you were half blind think that I am a nice chrome piece of showmanship but deep down you would know that I have family issues and I like to party way too much. I hang out with low life scum and I may rob you for the fun of it."

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 16 Jun 2009 13:40 by saxjonz.

• tietz21
  • User
  • Angel of the Road
More
16 Jun 2009 19:46 #299769 by tietz21
Replied by tietz21 on topic Chrome spray paint vs. Chrome powdercoat
Yyyyeeeaah, dont use the spray paint, it sucks....
Its true it just lokks like a bit more shiny of silver paint...

\"Angel of the Road\"
Riding Hard, Livin\' Free !

More
16 Jun 2009 23:50 #299826 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Chrome spray paint vs. Chrome powdercoat
The powdercoat looks pretty good but it will cost you. The coaters will have to special order it and they will have to buy a minimum amount and guess who gets to pay for that? :laugh: Then they will have to wait until they have a slow day so they can change out the colors. Unless you do a lot of stuff in a custom color it's not really worth it unless it's worth it to you.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
19 Jun 2009 05:58 #300547 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Chrome spray paint vs. Chrome powdercoat
ok, so I want to try to do it in the colour of my tank. I am not sure if the colour is original...pinstriping is correct, but the aftermarket shoei bags and fairing are the same colour, so I don't know if it was all painted at one point. Did 1982 1000LTD's come in a burgundy metallic colour? Lets say it is original, would I take the paint code from the bike and take it to a paint place? IF it isn't original how much would it cost to colour match and get a rattle can?