Cleaning up the frame

• solar_eclipse2
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2009 13:08 #299405 by solar_eclipse2
Cleaning up the frame was created by solar_eclipse2
I'm working on my bike and I have all the tins off and as much stripped down as I'm comfortable with. Since I have most of the bike apart I want to clean up the frame. It seems like it has some surface rust in some spots and I want to clean it up and coat the frame in truck bed liner.

Now I know the ideal situation is to take the motor off, probably have it blasted and then coat it but I don't have the ability to do that (no help) and I'm not about to pay to have someone else do it.

So does anyone else have any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2009 14:06 #299409 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Cleaning up the frame
Honestly, it's your bike and you can do what you want, but I would either do it right or not do it at all. I don't like the bed liner idea at all personally but each to his own. If you decide to strip it down just take a ton of pictures during the process so you remember how everything goes.

Good luck.

• solar_eclipse2
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2009 14:38 #299415 by solar_eclipse2
Replied by solar_eclipse2 on topic Cleaning up the frame
Austin,

That's normally how I feel about it but I don't have a bunch of money to sink into shop time.I think having the drive shaft on my bike complicates things a lot. Well the drive shaft and again that I have no help to lift and I'm working on the bike on the center stand.

As far as the truck bed liner...I've seen photos of people on this site that have done it and it looks really good and truck bed liner is some durable stuff.

More
26 Jun 2009 11:32 #302242 by yousuredo
Replied by yousuredo on topic Cleaning up the frame
If you are going the cheap route...
then go the cheap route with some simple rattle can gloss black to touch it up, till you can do it right.

If you don't want to sand the entire frame, simply spot sand the rusty surfaces good enough, and tape everything off and spray the frame the best you can.

chris

'09 Night Train ~ '76 Kz900

More
26 Jun 2009 12:04 #302249 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Cleaning up the frame
Don't forget to leave the grounding areas clean of paint/rust/coating compounds. If not, you'll have fun trying to figure out why your bike won't charge the battery or other systems are not working.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)