What about matte clear?

More
19 Oct 2005 17:11 #2849 by 80G
What about matte clear? was created by 80G
Has anyone used a matte clear on their KZ? Thinking about using it over some type of black. Maybe it will give it a nice mix between a rat rod and the paint on the new honda 919s. Maybe some old school pinstriping over it all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2005 20:17 #2892 by purerider
Replied by purerider on topic What about matte clear?
Well, as I totally understand what look your going for, you may want to be careful. Its so damn trendy, though the allure to have a flatblack bike, pinstripes, drag bars and whitewalls its pretty damn strong!

More
19 Oct 2005 20:22 #2895 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic What about matte clear?
There is "satin" paint by duplicolor, and Krylon. I have'nt used it, but I suspect it would be easier than the clear. Probably sand and lightly buff to a smooth finish without the gloss.

More
19 Oct 2005 22:48 #2912 by Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
Replied by Aloha Mr Hand Z1R on topic What about matte clear?
I used Krylon Semi-Gloss black on my Z1R and it turned out pretty good. If its too cold when you shoot it, it seems to do something where you can see the individual passes of the spray pattern. Do iton a warm day and/or I was told to use one of those snap-on deals that go on spray cans that provide a nicer, more consistent spray pattern.

Yeaaahhh, it might be a bit trendy right now, (although I haven't seen any other Z's on this site satin 'Mad-Max' black) but if I want to change it... I will, not much of an investment to walk away from.

Also, I just got a new Eastwood catalog and they have a satin clear in a spray can or in quart cans. They're paints are usually pretty good quality.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Nov 2014 17:33 #653182 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic What about matte clear?
Howd that satin work out for you Magaret? I forgot to get back to you.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
07 Nov 2014 19:42 #653189 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic What about matte clear?
Matt or satin is cool in th right places. I'm looking into this for my next frame restoration

Usaually after all the crappy prep work it is a joy to shoot the 2k clear coats, but on chassis parts it can be overdone.

See the avatar pic, looks like the frame is made from glass, nice work I think, just unless you put silly amounts of time in to get it right the gloss 2k clear just magnifies defects. One thing doing tanks and panels glassy smooth, but rough cast chassis parts I think modern clearcoats can be a bit too good.

Much as i love how kawasaki did it, 30 years ago, the Tyrell Corp production line moves rather slower and I'm aware that sometimes less is more.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
08 Nov 2014 07:05 #653208 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic What about matte clear?
I have not used 2K products yet but plan to use it as my final coat on the tank to add protection from fuel spills. As for semi-gloss, I tried that once and the issue is that you don't get any re-dos. With regular gloss paints you get to sand and buff. My understanding is that you can not buff flat or semi-gloss paints it makes the shiny. Of course I am not now nor will I ever be a professional painter. I know there are guys on this site that are and hopefully they can enter your questions. When I used satin black it showed everything, specks of dust, wrinkles and orange peel. If you have a nice clean environment it may be different. When I used it I did not and I lived up north and did it as a winter project so the conditions were not ideal.
Good luck sir, make sure you share pics of what ever you decide to do.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
20 Dec 2014 05:57 #656496 by SeanD
Replied by SeanD on topic What about matte clear?
I know this is a very, very old post, but the best way to flat black something is to get some cheap single stage and get flattener mixed in with it. It's the same stuff they put in the clear, but you do it all in one step.

OR, get a quart of black single stage and half a pint of flattener on the side. Gloss black the frame, flat black the sheetmetal and semi gloss the motor, all from one $40 quart of paint.

1981 Virago 750 Streetfighter
1982 GPZ750 in progress

More
11 Jan 2015 21:52 #658453 by sampeeter
Replied by sampeeter on topic What about matte clear?
hi guys
I am used the followings products for matte clear---
Krylon Clear Matte Finish
2K AeroSpray Matte Clear

More
12 Jan 2015 06:01 #658475 by chimike
Replied by chimike on topic Re:What about matte clear?
John deer implement paint is tough cheap and flat to satin depending on what pressure you spray it at. I've had it on my 07 suzuki sx4 for 5 years and it still looks great.

More
12 Jan 2015 18:08 #658532 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic Re:What about matte clear?
x2 on the John Deere paint! Its called blitz black

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400