Custom Side Covers

More
27 May 2009 07:44 #294353 by smellydog
Replied by smellydog on topic Custom Side Covers
Thought the reply would sit under the relevant comment. When you make the AL side plates, did you have to form the plate into a curve, or did it clear everything as a flat plate?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2009 11:53 #294408 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Custom Side Covers
Yeah, I put a bend in them at one place. I only picked up two of the mounts. The bend was real easy, though they are tucked in a ways. Pretty easy to do as the plate was about 20.00 from mcmaster or ebay. Then just made a template with some cardboard and cut to fit. Took it to the shop to get a bend in them, just marked them and took them in to have about a 15 degree bend in them.

Pretty quick and easy. I'm looking at a different rear master cylinder so I may have to redo the right side as it cuts out around the master cylinder. In all though it should take about 20 min to cut a new one and drill, and about 10 min for the shop to put a bend in them.

The lamp plugs hold really well. I haven't had any issues even with only two hangers.

For clearance I also moved some of the electronics to the front of the battery using some of the extra aluminum that I had from the side panels.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.