Moyer Tank Renew (Tank rust/leak repair)

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Apr 2009 09:35 #284044 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Moyer Tank Renew
I did the radiator shop boil thing on my 1954 Ford F100's gas tank about ten years ago. And it did take all the rust out. They also slathered some kind of yellowish gas tank sealer around in it. I looked inside it a while back and the sealer still seems to be holding up. At least it hasn't clogged my filter up anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2009 09:44 #284047 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Moyer Tank Renew
For $150 bucks i might look around on ebay to see if theres a better tank..I went thru all that crap then found a brand new tank on ebay after i sold it..

More
22 Apr 2009 14:48 #284120 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Moyer Tank Renew
I clean the tank with MEK first, then I use a samll jar of Naval jelly diluted in a quart of alcohol. Slosh it around inside the tank and let is sit for a bout 10 minutes, then rinse with water. After that I use some more alcohol to get the water out and then use some 2-stroke gas as a final rinse that also leaves a protective oil film on the tank. It looks like new when your done and takes about 20 mintes start to finish.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
26 Apr 2009 17:44 #285484 by Buda
Replied by Buda on topic Moyer Tank Renew
I used the por 15 and it looks good and seems to be holding up but its only been a couple of days. One thing be careful were it gets I got some in my cap and I had to take it apart and file the por 15 of the (catch?) . This stuff is real tough to get off your parts.
Thanks
Tom

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard

More
28 Apr 2009 07:17 #285955 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic Moyer Tank Renew
The following was written by me in a previous post.]

"Phosphoric acid is the product to use to eat up the rust, although, I have found that it is unnecessary if you use my method to coat the tank. If you have used any kind of oil, kerosene, wd-40, etc. to coat the tank it will have to be washed out with gasoline or paint thinner or MEK.

Use epoxy, not polyester, resin to coat the inside of the tank. You can thin it with acetone or MEK to make it easier to coat the tank. Just tape up any openings and rotate the tank until it is completely coated. Pour out any excess and let it cure.

Steel cannot rust without oxygen. The epoxy will encapsulate the rust and any other small particles of trash in the tank and leave the interior as smooth as a baby's butt.

I know that this method will generate some controversy, mostly from people that have never used epoxy, but I have tanks that were treated this way, one over ten years ago, and have never had any problems. One was a tank on an old jeep pickup. Another plus is that the epoxy will seal up any pin holes."

There seems to be a lot of resistance when I mention this, but I have various tanks that were done over ten years ago. They are still holding up well.

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650