DIY paint?

More
13 Apr 2009 11:08 #281390 by pchavez
DIY paint? was created by pchavez
I've got a new older bike that needs a new paint job. The current paint is doing okay but there are a few rust spots on the tank. It looks like it was a good job but not professional so I just want to go with a glossy black and save up for a professional.

Any advice on how to do a decent rattle can job? Sand, sand, and sand some more?

77 KZ650 - stock | 93 KZP1000 - project X!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2009 11:35 #281397 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic DIY paint?
Yeah, just get it nice and smooth, then lay down a sandable primer. That'll fill some small nicks and show you any imperfections. Sand down the imperfections, prime again until you're happy. Then you can wetsand the primer if you want with soapy water and some 600 grit water paper, purely an optional step though. When the primed surface looks nice, spray your colour. Go slow, put down very light coats to avoid runs. Then you're done, and it wont look half bad either.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
13 Apr 2009 13:58 #281421 by dman3998
Replied by dman3998 on topic DIY paint?
You can sand the color coat too, if you feel you need additional color coats, 600 between coats and if you want not have any dust or ripple, then buff it out. Use some 1500 then 2000 wet dry paper on the final layer, wet sand till you have a uniform dull surface, not shiny areas or shiny pit spots, then buff with some Meguires or equiv, heavy cut cleaner with a lambs wool pad then some finishing compound on a foam pad, possible need to finish up with some swirl remover. I have never tried it with regular enamels but just did it with some rattle can lacquer and it came out pretty nice, no dust specks, and pretty glossy shine. I suppose you could use clear lacquer for the final coat, may leave a deeper looking finish.

you will get friggin tired of sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding and more sanding then buffing BUT for like 10 bucks in paint and maybe $25 - $35 in buffing supplies you can get a pretty darn nice finish.

I found a little 3" buff pad set that I put in my right angle drill that works slick, way easier than a monster 8" buffer that you would finish a car with.

You can actually buff by hand too just like sanding using soft terry cloths and such but it takes WAY more elbow grease than my sorry butt can put into it.

Rots of Ruck

Dman

SE Idaho

"Smart only goes just so far, STUPID is UN-limited"

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

More
13 Apr 2009 14:06 #281424 by pchavez
Replied by pchavez on topic DIY paint?
Very nice, thank you. I didn't think of buffing it with a drill, that sounds right up my lazy ally. I'll grab some paint and supplies an try it on one of the side panels.

77 KZ650 - stock | 93 KZP1000 - project X!

More
13 Apr 2009 15:43 #281444 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic DIY paint?
I usually sand after all stages: primer, colour and clear. Helps to even out the surface which really helps to give you the shine. I have a dual action polisher to bring the shine back. I use three different grades of polish on the clear after sanding (ending in 2000 grit) then finish with wax. I find Meguiar's polish to be great.

More
13 Apr 2009 16:26 #281450 by T_Dub
You gotta show me how it's done this summer man. I want my tins to gleam, and I'm not there yet, mainly because no patience, but I dont know exactly how to polish either.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
13 Apr 2009 18:02 #281465 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic DIY paint?
you guys are just to ambitious my ideal paint job is a good fifty footer. looks good from fifty feet away.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
13 Apr 2009 18:36 #281477 by HerrDeacon
No problem. I'm far from a professional but I can get pretty decent results from a rattle can. I have to redo mine this summer as my front MC leaked last year and sprayed the tank ruining the clear coat :(

More
13 Apr 2009 18:37 #281479 by HerrDeacon
timebomb33 wrote:

you guys are just to ambitious my ideal paint job is a good fifty footer. looks good from fifty feet away.

LOL, you're too fast for anyone to see the paint job anyway!

More
13 Apr 2009 19:07 #281488 by T_Dub
HerrDeacon wrote:

No problem. I'm far from a professional but I can get pretty decent results from a rattle can. I have to redo mine this summer as my front MC leaked last year and sprayed the tank ruining the clear coat :(

Oh shitty. Ah well, maybe I can stop by when you're at it and watch.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler