Zinc plating

More
27 Mar 2009 00:07 - 27 Mar 2009 00:16 #275735 by dman3998
Zinc plating was created by dman3998
Not sure where to put this one kinda fits about anywhere you have hardware.

I got the Caswell Copy Cad/zinc plating set up and must say it works pretty good.

here is a shot of some parts before and after.

The prep is critical, I would not try it without a blast cabinet. and glass bead doesn't work very good as it will not remove the old coating down to the base metal unless its in a pitted/corroded area. The zinc will not plate on old chrome. and does not like old nickel much either. if you get it down to the old copper or bare steel its great.

Here are some more that just came out of the plating tank and some I dipped into a black chromate solution. its not as glossy but for my bike the black is a good look. its still Zinc but now has a black Oxide finish that is even more corrosion resistant.

I will say it is fairly time consuming. takes about 20 mins per batch and the prep and set up is long and painful. if you only have a hand full of parts and can get them done local for 40 - 60 bucks that is way cheaper. now that being said, there is some satisfaction to doing it yourself and the chemicals will last a very long time (years) so you could actually save some $ over several bikes.

now that I have the power supply and some experience, I am going to try some Chrome plating and maybe some bronze. suppose to be able to plate on plastic too.

I may try to figure out my own chemicals. I did a bunch of research and tried that path first but did not have much success. The pre-done mixes like Caswell are the way to go. until you know whats what, then you might be ok with you own concoctions.

Dman

Dman

SE Idaho

"Smart only goes just so far, STUPID is UN-limited"

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B
Last edit: 27 Mar 2009 00:16 by dman3998.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2009 08:35 #275794 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Zinc plating
WOW that looks great. I bet it does feel good doing it your self.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
28 Mar 2009 20:48 #276233 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Zinc plating
I found if I'm needing the plating removed from hardware to buy some Naval Jelly (the kind to remove rust from metal parts)Get a container not going to be used for food,put some Naval Jelly in the container enough to cover the parts,let it sit for a few hours to overnight,remove the parts with some needle nose or tongs,and then use hot water and soap to scrub off the plating residue. I use an old small sieve with a handle to avoid touching the Naval Jelly.

The parts might need a scrubing with a wire brush and scotch-brite to remove any old plating in the threads on fasterners, but the plating will be stripped away by the action of the Naval Jelly.

My Wife hates it, but I then dry the parts,spray them with high temp paint and bake in our oven at 350-425 F for about an hour. I do this with the windows open as the fumes can stink up the house for a while with them closed.I've done this to several bolts and brackets on my bike with no rusting being noticed.

For even drying/baking I suspend the parts on the oven racks with clothes hanger wires and may have to touch them up with a re-spray if a hanger hole was unpainted.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Mar 2009 23:50 #276292 by dman3998
Replied by dman3998 on topic Zinc plating
Once you get thru the chrome with a bead blast the nickle comes off with a dip in the Hydrochloric acid bath. I did a bunch more today. getting the hang of what you can do or not. I would not recommend it to any one with out a ton of patience. It is pretty tedious to prep and dip all the steps you need to do. It still is pretty satisfying to plate what ever yanks your crank. I ended up doing way more than I would have if I had sent them out. not a cost thing but some stuff I didnt even consider say a month ago. There is the time thing too. If I am putting something together and at that moment decide to plate something, 30 minutes later I am bolting on a freshly plated bolt or part. cant do that if you send them out.

Dman

SE Idaho

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2009 06:44 #276313 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Zinc plating
Care to Zinc my frame? :P

That's awesome! How does it compare in cost to sending it out?

More
29 Mar 2009 08:08 #276342 by dman3998
I have no idea, I never really checked. there is no local shop so I would be shipping it out and I didn't want to have to guess which parts and hardware I wanted to do or not.

I always wanted to try it anyway, just gave me a good excuse.

Dman

SE Idaho

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

More
29 Mar 2009 11:42 #276400 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Zinc plating
Have you looked into the issue of hydrogen embrittlement? This can cause a problem with steel fasteners in that they tend to become brittle and can fracture under stress when hydrogen is absorbed into the metal during the acid cleaning and electroplating process. The good news is that hydrogen can be purged from the metal by heating it - different temperatures and times depending on the type of steel. This can be done in a normal household oven. Take a look at "hydrogen embrittlement" on the internet; there's a bunch of interesting info there. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Mar 2009 17:36 #276530 by dman3998
Did little looking into it, it apparently is only a problem on high strength steel like grade 8 stuff. I don't think there is any grade 8 fasteners except maybe on the motor. it is more of a concern with hot dip zinc in the preplating acid pickling stage but it can be a problem for the electroplated in the alkaline cleaning and or the alkaline plating solution.

Dman

SE Idaho

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
29 Mar 2009 18:09 #276537 by kano
Replied by kano on topic Zinc plating
where did you get your kit dude?
i could do with getting all the new hardware done on my front end.

thx.

More
29 Mar 2009 19:38 #276600 by dman3998
It's basically the Caswell copy cad/zinc kit but I only bought the solution, brightener and manual from them.

I purchased the rest of the stuff from fleabay and local. like the power supply, zinc bar, buckets and other chemicals.

I was trying to make my own solution but the main plating one never worked near as good as the Caswell. Everything else is standard stuff like Muratic pool acid, sulfuric battery acid, TSP, Sodium hydroxide (lye) and is no problem to find.

THE fastest, no hassel way to get into it is get everything from Caswell. you can be plating in a few hours after you get the kit.

you still need a power source. a used one on fleabay can be cheap or make your own. a small motorcycle battery even works but is hard to control.

Dman

SE Idaho

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

More
29 Mar 2009 20:25 - 29 Mar 2009 20:35 #276618 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Zinc plating
how about nickle plating ,anybody have experiance with this?im burned out on chrome plating im just trying to picture how it would look on bike stuff B) it reminds me of polished aluminum,and polished aluminum looks tons better than chrome plated aluminum in my book!B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Mar 2009 20:35 by PLUMMEN.