• Page:

TOPIC:

Prepping Frame for Paint? 18 Oct 2005 19:03 #2680

• ran429
  • ran429's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
I have my Kz750 frame stripped of most parts, Before too long i am goingto physically be able to start tinkering again.

When you prepared your frame for Paint, did you strip all the old paint off so it went on Even?
Or did you just smoothe out the old and Emery Cloth the frame?

I was thinking of using Aircraft paint stripper, then Prime it and shoot the final paint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Prepping Frame for Paint? 18 Oct 2005 19:24 #2683

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
On mine I just washed it up really good and then painted the grey on. It held up pretty well considering I practically built my bike in the basement including putting the 650 in, then took it apart again and put the 650 in outside, then pulled the 650 out and put the 750 in. I do plan on redoing it this winter though, last winter was all about getting it acceptable looking and running, this winter (especially if Home Depot comes through) it will be all about getting it looking and running better, along with the other 650 I have in the yard.

Since you have the time now I would at least scuff it all up with the emery though. Go at it while the wifes at work :laugh:

Prepping Frame for Paint? 18 Oct 2005 19:36 #2686

• ran429
  • ran429's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
Im going to wait a bit longer, I think its too soon to do anything yet. I want to rebuild some muscles first, I cant afford to go through this again.

But I already did some wire wheel and emery to mine. I just think it will look alot better after stripping it all the way. Then shoot it with a real nice paint job.
Mossbeater was Rattle canned, this one will get my spray gun taken to it (My Brother is a Bumper repairman at local car lots, he has a Semi good discount on Commercial auto paints).

Lots of Black will be used. Maybe some Red Stipes nicely laid on the tank, fenders and Covers too.

Prepping Frame for Paint? 19 Oct 2005 17:41 #2857

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
At this point (I'm 53), I don't feel like wasting anymore time stripping or sanding down old paint, breathing toxic fumes and dust, so the local sandblaster is my new best friend. Fast, efficient, not very expensive and safe.

Prepping Frame for Paint? 19 Oct 2005 18:23 #2865

• kawasakikid38
  • User
yea i think i'm going to powdercoat mine.B)

Prepping Frame for Paint? 19 Oct 2005 21:02 #2902

• John68
  • User
get one of those "Campbell-Hausfield" $12 sand blasters they have at walmart. if you got lots of spare time and not a lot of energy, or muscle or whatever and you feel like taking it easy, you can just sit there and pull the trigger on the sandblaster. You'll probably have $25 or so into it, when you are done, between buying the sand and the blaster. if you plan on using liquid paint stripper, be sure to wash the crap out o fit when you are done, and don't get anywhere near the welds or the seams where two pieces come together. once you get that stuff in the cracks, it will rot the metal away. I am probably going to take my frame to a sandblaster, to save myself the torment of boring, unskilled labor. It's more my speed to do the skilled parts of the task. I like handling things that require talent and practice, verses things that a monkey could do. But, if you got nothing going on, and are looking for a way to pass the time, without stressin your body, sandblasting is the way to go. second best thing to do would be to get a large 55 gallon plastic drum, fill it full of hot or warm water, and dump about 3.5 lbs. of sodium hydroxide (red devil lye, can be bought at lowe's or home depot) into the water, toss in the frame, let soak, watch as all the paint and rust magically falls off the frame, pull out, rinse, prime with epoxy primer over self etching(must contain lead) primer, then paint. deffinitely will be rust, paint, and dirt free, inside and out. nasty little side effect though, it will peel the VIN tag off the gooseneck, unless you don't dip that part of the bike.

bon appetit!

John

• Page: