HVLP setup

• Virii
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
More
01 Feb 2009 14:23 #261544 by Virii
HVLP setup was created by Virii
I've been looking for a decent HVLP gun and trying to find a reasonable compressor (as I don't have one) and came across this:

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tls/1009927846.html

"
Lexaire HVLP Sprayer - $400 (Boston South End)

Used only once!!, Model LX-10 in perfect condition with long hose and adjustable nozzle spraygun, used only once and it shows!!
compare to new at over $900
"

It appears this would have everything I'd need, sans possibly some different nozzles for flake and such but I thought I'd ask. Does this seem like a good setup for a novice or would I be better served by purchasing a more expensive compressor but cheaper gun? (keeping in mind that I'm unlikely to do anything other than painting with the compressor)

In response to my brief questions to the seller, he stated:

"
This is the entire setup with gun, hose, and high volume low pressure sprayer. It’s like using an
airbrush if you ‘ve ever used one. I don’t’ have specs in particular.
The unit is perfect for the kind of work you plan to do as you can put the paint exactly where you want it with little to no overspray.
You also don’t need a spraybooth as a result of no overspray. Why don’t you call a motorcycle shop that could confirm
what I’m saying. I used to do hand oil finishes, but never had the patience or time for spraying. I used to sub it out as my
time was more profitably spent making the next piece of furniture. This is why I never really used it. I would try to find
someone who uses these and talk to them. Then, if it will fit the bill for you, come by. Good luck, Ron
"

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2009 21:05 #261640 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic HVLP setup
All I've got is good to say about HVLP. I made a ton of money using a CapSpray unit I bought back in '85 or '86. Spray painted a lot of mini shutters, working shutters, doors, cabinets, etc, etc, etc...
I found that, even though there's not much overspray to have to deal with, there is quite a bit of fallout if you're "blowing and going".
Never got a chance to try one using automotive grade paint. I'll get to try some this week if the weather permits. I'll just be using a small gravity feed gun hooked up to a compressor with an in-line drier. Hope I don't mess up too bad. I know I'm in for a new experience.:)

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

• Virii
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
More
01 Feb 2009 21:34 #261647 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic HVLP setup
I've heard the same from just about everybody I've spoken to and in looking through posts here, it seems there are some good recommendations but all of them appear to assume that you have a compressor (which I probably should...but don't as I've never really felt I had a reason. :( )

I can't really find any information on this particular model and the manufacturer's web site isn't really helping but from what I can assume, it's a "turbine" setup which sounds like it would really be far more than I need but work well for me from what I've read...although maybe there's more to the setup than I realize.

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
02 Feb 2009 05:18 #261680 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic HVLP setup
Actually, this set up most likely doesn't need a compressor since it has it's own source of low pressure air. You could check with a Sherwin-Williams paint store. I think they are dealers for this particular set up.

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
02 Feb 2009 10:00 #261715 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic HVLP setup
I to used the HVLP with a turbine in the late 80's early 90's. I used it for industrial coating and such and it did a great job for what I was doing.

One thing to keep in mind with automotive paint is that the turbine units create heat and that means you are shooting with hot air which can make automotive paint dry to quick. I am sure they have tried to rectify the problem but I am not positive. Most HVLP automotive guns do not use a turbine for these reasons, that means you need a big compressor to keep up with the cfm's that are required for these guns.

Depending on what you are shooting and how often should be your deciding factor. If you are spraying small things with automotive paint you might get away with it, but big jobs will create heat. This is just my 2 cents worth and is by no means the gospel. Good luck with your decision.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL