Polishing? Here's the basics.

More
27 Jan 2009 11:41 #260484 by Escobarclan
Polishing? Here's the basics. was created by Escobarclan
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here, I mostly reside in the GSresource forum, but I own a CSR as well, and I thought I'd post this here too so anyone who is a Do-it-yourselfer can polish at home.

As background, I own the Escobar Polishing Co., we specialize in polishing motorcycle parts across the country.

First off, I'd like to say that any and all supplies can be ordered from www.eastwoodco.com . They are the the best and cheapest suppliers for polishing needs I can find.

Ok, so you have an engine cover that is looking bad. No problem, polishing is pretty simple. I'll use a worst case example as well.

You have an engine cover, left side. You or someone turned the bike over and gouged the aluminum. The finish also happens to have a coat of that old, yellowed clearcoat on it too, and to top it off, it's badly oxidized.

First thing, go to Wal-mart and buy a can of "aircraft stripper", and a set of rubber gloves.

Scrub the part with some #00 steel wool to break the surface, it allows the stripper to sink in under the clearcoat better. Spray the part thoroughly and let sit, you'll see the clearcoat start bubbling, just make sure you do this OUTSIDE. Also, this stuff is HOT, it'll burn you chemically.

Ok, so the clearcoat is off, easier than you thought. Now the cutting begins. If you have deep gouges you just get some 600 grit sandpaper and get busy, work your way up to at least 800. Not every gouge is removable, they're just too deep.

Now come the 'emery' compound and 'sisal' wheel. This will remove oxidation as well. This compound 'cuts', but don't expect it to do alot quickly. Take your time and don't push the part against the wheel very hard.

Now the polishing begins, you'll need 'tripoli' compound and a 'spiral sewn' wheel for this stage. Most beginners can start at this stage if the parts aren't bad, or have a factory finish. Take in mind that even if you have a factory finish, aluminum oxidation will require an 'emery' type grit to remove it.

'tripoli' finishes are sufficient for most people, it's easy to maintain as well. But let's get to the real mirror finish.

Ok, the finish, and this is when your part will emerge beautifully. You'll need the 'white rouge' compound. This part is called 'coloring', as opposed to buffing. You'll need a 'canton flannel' wheel for this. With rouge, you need very light pressure on the part, don't let the part get hot! It changes the 'color' of finish.

Ok, so that's it. But you must remember this:

-Use only 1 compound per wheel, NEVER, EVER, MIX.

-A cool part polishes better, the compound doesn't 'cake', you can alternate parts on a wheel for this, letting each one cool by a fan.

-Use cotton gloves, your hand oil can drastically alter the coumpounds' effectiveness. My guys have 'grit gloves' a pair for every grit. Nothing sucks worse than coloring with rouge, and seeing you have to take out emery scratches.

-Wrap a towel around the base of the buffing motor, and put an old blanket on the floor, beleive me on this: A PART WILL FLY OUT OF YOUR HAND, it's inevitable, bet on it.

-A bench grinder motor will work. 1HP is optimal, 1/4hp is hard but doable. There are websites on how to set-up your own polishing motor from a used dryer motor, if that attracts you. You need no less than 3400 rpm to polish, any less isn't possible.

-Touch the compound to the wheel often, what I train my guys to do is stand in front of the wheel and hit it with the compound, when you feel dusty-like bits touch your face, then it's enough. Wearing safety glasses of course.

-Always clean the part between grits, always. Just use a clean WHITE rag.

-When you get to the Tripoli and White Rouge grits, the parts have to be wiped with a clean cotton material and white all-purpose flour. the flour soaks up oil microscopically, and doesn't scratch a surface.

-Don't ever blow a part clean with compressor air, compressors air has oil in them, whether you see it or not.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, ALUMINUM OXIDE IS A DIRECT CAUSE OF ALZHEIMER"S DISEASE, wear mask or wet bandanna, they're CHEAP.

I hope this helps guys. It seems like alot, but when you start you'll see it's pretty simple.

Go to our website, www.escobarpolishing.com if you think you need a professional job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzrider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
29 Jan 2009 14:47 #260855 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic Polishing? Here's the basics.
Hey, great timing! I'm gonna pull my forks off this weekend and I have a feelng these tips will help a lot.

I do have a question, though. I don't neccessarily want a mirror shine for them. More of a "satin" finish. Do I just stop at a lower grit?

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

More
29 Jan 2009 15:04 #260857 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Polishing? Here's the basics.
Thanks for the post!

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
29 Jan 2009 15:06 #260858 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Polishing? Here's the basics.
that was an incredible write up and i think i speak for all of us when i say THANK YOU for that.

i have seen you at the gs sight and enjoy your tips and tricks there.

thanks again!

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
29 Jan 2009 18:54 #260893 by Escobarclan
Replied by Escobarclan on topic Polishing? Here's the basics.
Thanks guys, no problem. If it weren't for forums like these, my bike projects would have been alot more expensive, and harder too.

Satin finish? Well, what you can do is get finished polishing with the 'tripoli' but using a clean sisal wheel instead of a loose spiral or cotton. The wheel is alot tougher and won't quite let the tripoli reach it's best effect, which is how you get a 'glaze', what you call satin.

Another trick is to finish with the tripoli and then get some fine steel wool and lightly scrub the finish, making sure the wool is completely dry of oil (wet steel wool cuts a little more than dry).

More
29 Jan 2009 19:06 #260894 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Polishing? Here's the basics.
the biggest secret to polishing is to spend a lot of time prepping the surface.it takes a lot of blocksanding to get cast aluminum parts flat and smooth,im not talking just scratces im talking actual waves !:laugh: and once you get the part nice and flat and smooth remember to keep the part moving while youre polishing it,its a lot easier to burn the surface and put waves in it then it is to remove them.ive been polishing my own stuff before plating for more than 25 years and im here to tell ya if you can do your own prep and polishing chrome plating is really reasonable to have done.B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
29 Jan 2009 19:08 #260895 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Polishing? Here's the basics.
Escobarclan wrote:

Thanks guys, no problem. If it weren't for forums like these, my bike projects would have been alot more expensive, and harder too.

Satin finish? Well, what you can do is get finished polishing with the 'tripoli' but using a clean sisal wheel instead of a loose spiral or cotton. The wheel is alot tougher and won't quite let the tripoli reach it's best effect, which is how you get a 'glaze', what you call satin.

Another trick is to finish with the tripoli and then get some fine steel wool and lightly scrub the finish, making sure the wool is completely dry of oil (wet steel wool cuts a little more than dry).

we used to get the satin look on drag car interior panels by rubbing the surface really good with a bar of soap then going over it with really fine steel wool.B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.