2k primer

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
23 Dec 2008 12:08 #254303 by Kawickrice
2k primer was created by Kawickrice
Can I use 2k high build primer on bare metal or should I use epoxy primer first?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2008 17:02 #254349 by tsm3rdz
Replied by tsm3rdz on topic 2k primer
Depends if it is direct to metal (dtm) or not. It should say dtm somewhere on the can or the p-sheet if you have one. If it's not (and it's probably not) you'll want some kind of self-etching primer on there first. I like dupont's variprime (pn- 615S I think) for what it's worth. Hope this helps-

Ben

76 kz 900 streetfighter - monoshocked, newer forks, etc.
My build thread:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/221000...streetfighter-i-hope

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
23 Dec 2008 18:01 #254366 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic 2k primer
Self etching primer or epoxy primer? I have some metal prep that says use on bare metal then primer.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
24 Dec 2008 12:27 #254503 by tsm3rdz
Replied by tsm3rdz on topic 2k primer
Generally speaking, epoxy primer/sealer is something you would put down if the metal were perfect and needed no bodywork done to it. It gives a nice, uniform, smooth surface that is all the same color, which is important depending on what you are spraying over it-ie base/clear, single stage, etc. Some of the base colors are hard to get to look the same depending on if you are spraying one part that is white, one that is black, etc. That being said if you need to do bodywork, and it sounds like you do because you want to use 2k high build primer, I would metal prep the bare metal (always a good idea, I forgot to mention that earlier) spray some self-etching primer(good adhesion and corrosion resistance on bare metal), your 2k primer, sand and block your 3k until it is straight, a good epoxy sealer, and than paint. Make sure your 2k is fully cured before you seal it or it will bubble a couple months down the road as the solvents try to escape from the uncured 2k. As a side note if you need to use any filler, do that on the bare metal before the self-etching, assuming you are using something like z-grip, which I really like- great adhesion to bare metal and good corrosion resistance. Get that perfectly smooth, than self etch, 2k, block, seal, and paint. I'm no pro at this and I'm sure there are other ways to achieve the same result but this has always worked for me.

Hope this helps

Ben

76 kz 900 streetfighter - monoshocked, newer forks, etc.
My build thread:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/221000...streetfighter-i-hope