Issues with the Detailing on Plastic Sidecovers.

More
08 Dec 2008 06:58 #251424 by BSKZ650
I have sanded them off and used the chemical method in the past,
I prefer to remove the stripes with a chemical and then sand the paint to prep it.
I have seen problems in sanding the stripes off sice it can leave a high spot where they were, product of sanpaper not removing the stripe and paint equal.

I dont like the brake fluid idea, it will have a tendancy to leave a residue in the pours of the part, and seems to me would require a lot of extra prep work.

I would also agree that you need a "scuff" the surface right for the primer to bond.

Just a quick note: what ever you see or feel in the primer stage you will see it in the final finished product,,,prep, prep, prep.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2008 22:25 #252146 by mervschmaed
Replied by mervschmaed on topic Issues with the Detailing on Plastic Sidecovers
320 and 600 wet worked like a charm. Just need to find me some 1000 or 1100 (the local Home Despot is out) and some rattlecans and they'll be looking good.

Great day in North Texas for working: 45-50 degrees and windy. Reminded me of working on my POS T-Bird back in NY when I was teenager.

After taking off the details on the tank as well though, I'm liking the flat black look. I don't know how that would match with all the chrome. We'll see.

And again, no pics. I think I may be only guy on here without a camera.

Now I need to figure out how to touch up the badges as well. (The more I work on and look at this bike, the more I realize how little the last owner took care of it.) Any suggestions on that?

Current
'82 KZ550 LTD
Former
'80 KZ1000 LTD

More
12 Dec 2008 04:28 - 12 Dec 2008 04:33 #252161 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Issues with the Detailing on Plastic Sidecovers.
The badges where easier then you think...

Using a buffing wheel, I came to realize these would buff out... So I buffed each completely to a high shine. Then with an small applicator such as coffee stirring stick, Q-tip end w/no cotton, whatever... I applied a light coat of vacuum grease on the raised portion only...

Then paint the hole badge with Adhesion promoter, primer, paint then clear coat... Let stand for 15 minutes or so pending your paint/clear coat flash time, carefully wipe of the vacuum grease. Don;t go crazy trying to get it completely off, just enough where the paint is sticking over the raised portions.

Hope this helps,

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Dec 2008 04:33 by Old Man Rock.

More
12 Dec 2008 05:15 - 12 Dec 2008 05:21 #252167 by Patton
mervschmaed wrote:

... need to figure out how to touch up the badges as well... Any suggestions on that?

Z1 Enterprises carries a large variety of badges for both tanks and sidecovers, and they are relatively inexpensive.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Dec 2008 05:21 by Patton.

More
12 Dec 2008 05:20 #252168 by Patton
BSKZ650 wrote:

... dont like the brake fluid idea, it will have a tendancy to leave a residue in the pours of the part, and seems to me would require a lot of extra prep work....

Am thinking that a good bath with common household rubbing alcohol would eliminate any brake fluid residue.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD