cut down seat

More
18 Oct 2008 23:03 #242549 by PLUMMEN
cut down seat was created by PLUMMEN
i was moving some stuff from one end of my building to my new shop area today.anyway i came across a bunch of 900/1000 ltd seat foams in a pile without covers on them.i usually end up with my ass end about midway up the slope on ltd seats so ive always wanted to make a seat with a little shorter step on the back half ,but still retain the semi origional look of the seat.how does one go about doing this and making it look proportional?:blink:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2008 23:42 #242556 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic cut down seat
here my favorite non turbo z1 in the gallery,how do you make a seat like that?B)

Attachments:

More
19 Oct 2008 00:09 #242565 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic cut down seat
take a picture of the awesome bike into an upolstery shop and say i want this seat and they either will make it for you or go and find that bike and steal it for you, your choice.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
19 Oct 2008 07:39 #242597 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic cut down seat
Take or get an electric carving knife. Then shave the seat foam the way you would like it to be. Take it and the pan to upholstery business and have them cover it. Around here it's about $60-$80 and 4-5 days turnaround. Pick out the material too. Shops get good or bad reputations for good or shoddy work so it helps to ask around. Pics do help!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
19 Oct 2008 23:08 #242770 by gorack
Replied by gorack on topic cut down seat
thats a seat off a zrx1100\1200, can you say ebay just use your seatpan and yuor done B)

More
20 Oct 2008 06:46 #242794 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic cut down seat
If an electric carving knife isn't available, a hacksaw blade also readily slices through the foam rubber.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
21 Oct 2008 10:07 #243038 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic cut down seat
PLUMMEN wrote:

i was moving some stuff from one end of my building to my new shop area today.anyway i came across a bunch of 900/1000 ltd seat foams in a pile without covers on them.i usually end up with my ass end about midway up the slope on ltd seats so ive always wanted to make a seat with a little shorter step on the back half ,but still retain the semi origional look of the seat.how does one go about doing this and making it look proportional?:blink:

That's easy! keep yer ol 200 lb fat ass off of it! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
21 Oct 2008 18:51 #243127 by PLUMMEN
ill probably spend a lot of time laying on top of tank on this one with a deathgrip on bars remembering how easy Lorcan makes it look,not to mention making lots of promises to your boss that if he gets me out of this one i wont dump the clutch quite so hard the next time!:woohoo:

More
21 Oct 2008 20:09 #243151 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic cut down seat
gorack wrote:

thats a seat off a zrx1100\1200, can you say ebay just use your seatpan and yuor done B)

A ZRX seat is that "modern" sloped piece of damn crap. You don't want that I don't think? Who wants to sit on something sloped forward at 35 degrees? Not me. The rest of the world maybe, but sitting sloped forward at 35 degrees is for the birds. I doubt even birds are stupid enough to want to perch on a perch sloped at 35 degrees, but that's what we get with "modern" crap. Oh well they aint going to sell this garbage here! and that's probably why the ZRX is gone. Anyone that would want a retro would want something you can ride comfortably, but that's too much to hope for today I'm afraid.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
21 Oct 2008 22:57 #243166 by PLUMMEN
dont worry Ron,im trying to keep basically origional look of seat,just a little shorter is all!:laugh: imdefinately stuck in the 1970s,no crotch rocket for me!B)