Black heat paint alternative to PJ-1 spray can?

More
09 Oct 2008 10:42 #240946 by onanysunday
I want to touch-up my engine. It is painted black, at this point it is flat black and much of the paint has been worn off. I know PJ-1 makes a high quality aerosol black heat paint that closely matches the original color our engines are painted. My question is-can anyone recommend a good quality black engine heat paint that you can brush-on instead of spraying on? I just have a few nicks that I want to touch-up and need the precision of detailed, hand-application, instead of indiscriminately spraying all other areas around it. Thanks!

79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2008 11:34 #240957 by MFolks
Wal-Mart carries two different brands of Hi-temp paint for bbq's that should stand up to the heat. One is Rust-Oleum specialty High heat bbq black for heat up to 1200 F. And the second is Krylon special purpose bbq & stove paint again in bbq black and good up to 1200 F.

I don't think anybody makes a good brush on hi-temp paint what with brush strokes and coverage concerns.

For small nick and scratch touch up use this old trick: wipe down the area to be touched up with lacquer thinner or acetone, let dry and spray some of the paint into a small paint resistant cup enough to have some liquid form, take a small paint brush from a model hobby store and paint the areas and let dry for a while.

After the paint has dried, go for a ride for about an hour and check on how well the touched up areas adhered(stuck).

This is how I keep my 82 GPZ1100 B2 engine looking good(it came from the factory in black paint).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Oct 2008 05:04 #241903 by rt green
use a airbrush. get one at a hobby shop