Got my windshield

More
01 Aug 2008 10:12 - 01 Aug 2008 10:15 #229554 by steell
Got my windshield was created by steell
My econo sport tourer, now I can get my groceries, take my laundry to the laundromat, ect :D

Just looking at it makes me want to pack the bags and go for a month long ride (got to get the tail bag first).

Warning, if you click on the pic it's huge!!

National Cycle Plexifairing 3 with Nelson Rigg tank and saddle bags.

KD9JUR
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Aug 2008 10:15 by steell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2008 10:46 #229561 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Got my windshield
Well, if you drift down Galveston way, you'll have a place to stay (w/airconditioning):)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
01 Aug 2008 12:09 #229572 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Got my windshield
Thank God for air conditioning!! Only 86F with 75% humidity at the moment, but that's bad enough.

Which brings me to my point :)

I just finished a test ride with the new windshield and bags on, and while the bags weren't even noticeable, the windshield was a disappointment.

It blocks the airflow getting to my helmet (HJC CL-Max Modular), and even with the helmet open the inside of the helmet was soaking wet from just a 6 mile ride. No airflow through the vents. No airflow past the rest of me either, so no cooling ride on a hot day. :(

The windshield is being removed and stored till cooler weather arrives this fall, I'll just deal with getting wet in the rain.

I keep thinking about taking that long ride, but I also want to take GPzInfested (my Nephew) and his GPz750 Turbo to that Land Speed Racing track in the Carolina's. I "really" want to chase Lorcan's record 211 mph. The bike as currently set up might make 175-180 mph, so I figure that's a good speed to start. And GPzInfested is already talking about a 810 kit, Carrillo rods, and a bigger Turbo, along with a MicroSquirt so we can tune it :D

KD9JUR

More
01 Aug 2008 15:27 #229591 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Got my windshield
How quick and how easy is it to take it off and put it on? It's the one gripe I have with the Silver Wing Interstate. There are times I would like more breeze but I have heard some things bounce off it that I was glad I didn't catch. I might like one of those Plexi3's on the Gold Wing tho. If it is easily and quickly detachable.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
01 Aug 2008 15:43 #229592 by michikawi
Replied by michikawi on topic Got my windshield
Looks like the set up I have on my Suzuki. I was kind of disappointed too, but I learned to angle my knees out into the slipstream and funnel the cool air right up where it is needed. Give it a try. I works for me.

More
01 Aug 2008 17:36 #229603 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Got my windshield
Somehow I always end up buying bikes that have screens on them already. It's always the first thing to go, I just don't care for the look of them, let alone the effect on riding but I'll admit I never tried the knee channel trick.

I've taken the odd rock and bee for my refusal to use a screen, I won't deny that.

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
01 Aug 2008 19:51 #229618 by steell
5 minutes or less to remove the screen.

I don't think the knee trick would get the air up around my helmet and into the vents though. It would probably work fine for someone that doesn't wear a helmet, but I'm really uncomfortable riding without a helmet. I have four helmets and one of them is a Nolan open face helmet, but my brother has that one and he's not giving it back.

I'll just save it for cooler weather :)

KD9JUR

More
02 Aug 2008 06:10 #229652 by michikawi
Replied by michikawi on topic Got my windshield
Probably the best way (save for cool weather) but the screen looks pretty tall to me. If there is some way you could cut it down without destroying it, the top of your helmet would be up in the moving air stream and your vents would probably work better. After a couple of yellowjackets down my shirt I hate to ride without a windshield.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
02 Aug 2008 08:51 - 02 Aug 2008 08:53 #229671 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Got my windshield
That's the (IMHO, small) prob with the universal-mount windshields, you'll be lucky if it functions JUST RIGHT the first time it's mounted.
Diff handlebar and seat configurations, as well as how tall the rider is requires a little "tweaking" of the windshield angle and heigth above the headlight for it to work to suit the riders desires/needs.

I have a National Cycle Slipstreamer mounted to my ZN700 and love it!
It took my several tries to get it just where I wanted it though; sitting about 1/4" above the headlight and angled almost vertically it blocked all of the wind from my torso, but created a "swirl effect" at the top and buffeted my helmet badly. :S
But lifted about 1~ 1 1/2" above the headlight and angled back so it has the same height it did when mounted almost vertically, I get almost no helmet buffeting, and also have the added benefit of some air flow between the bottom of the shield/top of the headlight that keeps my torso and helmet-clad noggin a bit cooler. :woohoo:

The air flow I now get is about what I would normally feel riding without a windshield at about 30~35 mph.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ
Last edit: 02 Aug 2008 08:53 by RetroRiceRocketRider.

More
02 Aug 2008 16:27 #229755 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Got my windshield
I had a national cycle wind screen very similar a couple of years ago and really liked it. But, it didn't stop the rain from getting in my face, which was a pain. If I laid four fingers across the top the windscreen that was enough to keep the rain off my face.
A friend bought a clip on extension, about the size of four fingers, for his and he says it works fine. If you would like I could get a picture or more info.

More
02 Aug 2008 16:31 #229757 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Got my windshield
After looking a bit closer, yours looks quite a bit larger than mine so that probably won't be an issue.

More
02 Aug 2008 23:40 #229807 by steell
Mines actually too tall, I have to sit up straight and stretch to see over it.

Just got home on the bike at 2 am and the new jacket and gloves were quite enough without the windshield (I removed it earlier today), it was a little cool and it would have been more comfortable if I'd worn the matching pants also.

KD9JUR