tank dent

More
29 Sep 2008 09:32 #239214 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic tank dent
that one is going to need the pins spot welded and pulled, its going to also take some filler to repair it to like new,,bummer

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2008 10:24 - 29 Sep 2008 10:25 #239222 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic tank dent
aarons80kz650 wrote:

... the dent is a large area. I do have some small dings in the tank and they did not move. I didn't think to take pictures while I was attempting it.

If the tank looked reasonably acceptable with the dent popped out by compressed air (before it popped back in), and especially if this is original paint, would first give the dry ice method a try (relatively cheap), followed by the PDR method (economical), before resorting to a full-fledged make-over with welding, bondo, re-painting, etc.

Good Luck with whatever course is chosen. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Sep 2008 10:25 by Patton.

More
07 Oct 2008 21:11 #240717 by Gorham
Replied by Gorham on topic tank dent
i used a suction cup for a dent i had in one of my bikes. not as big as the one shown in the picture, but it worked on the 1st try. the suction cups were made to get the dents out of cars that had "light" damage, but it worked great for me. no bondo or paint work needed after. no glue either.

if i had before and after pictures i would post them.

More
10 Oct 2008 05:24 #241080 by kawazee_kz
Replied by kawazee_kz on topic tank dent
Gorham wrote:

i used a suction cup for a dent i had in one of my bikes. not as big as the one shown in the picture, but it worked on the 1st try. the suction cups were made to get the dents out of cars that had "light" damage, but it worked great for me. no bondo or paint work needed after. no glue either.

if i had before and after pictures i would post them.

Ah, yes I also have a dent and a 'Ding King'.
It's a hot glue type dent puller. Will report back when done......:huh:

More
25 Oct 2008 17:59 #243806 by NewzWrthy
Replied by NewzWrthy on topic tank dent
OK the compressed air idea was neat so I tried it a few years ago, "DON'T" it split the seams on the tank. Cheap fix is bondo done in very thin layers 1/8-1/16 in. deeper dent more layers. or hunt a new tank. I have tried many different things and have yet to find a sure fix for tank dents.

More
31 Oct 2008 14:53 #244832 by Skinthead
Replied by Skinthead on topic tank dent
The dentless may work, but the glue on pull pins and some hammer work should work. if you look at that dent the area around the dent itself is raised slightly. Glue in the pins and attach the puller, have someone put steady pressure on the puller as you "tap at the high area around it with a body hammer (cheap set at harbor freight works fine). it should pop the metal back in around the edges and force the metal that is pushed in to pop back out some. Just keep working it, and it will come out, but you may be removing and regluing pins till you get it all gone.

I somehow think you are gonna end up with a high spot where the metal is pushed in when it comes out. You can get rid of this with a shrinking disc or a torch and wet rag...

Doc

81 CSR 1000, 81 KZ650, 83 GPz550

More
31 Oct 2008 18:31 #244868 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic tank dent
The tank looks good. Who cares there's a dent. You can either have a nice looking tank with dent, or a piece of crap repaint without. Dent is preferable.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
31 Oct 2008 21:56 #244894 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic tank dent
Patton wrote:

aarons80kz650 wrote:

... the dent is a large area. I do have some small dings in the tank and they did not move. I didn't think to take pictures while I was attempting it.

If the tank looked reasonably acceptable with the dent popped out by compressed air (before it popped back in), and especially if this is original paint, would first give the dry ice method a try (relatively cheap), followed by the PDR method (economical), before resorting to a full-fledged make-over with welding, bondo, re-painting, etc.

that crease will make really hard to just pop it out,id try the paintless repair guys 1st to see what they can do with it.bondo is for finish work,not sculpting a tank out of.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
25 Mar 2009 13:28 #275320 by sean5775
Replied by sean5775 on topic tank dent
I have tried the compressed air trick and it just doesn't seem to work very well, the odd dent will pop out so to me its the quick easy fix but seldom works. Compressed air seems to work all the time on automotive fuel tanks but they are not nearly as thick as a motorcycle tank. I have fixed some tank dents in the past on tanks that could never be replaced, on rare bikes etc. by drilling a hole in the center of the dent and pulling it out with a slide hammer, and welding up the hole, and grinding it smooth. I have one tank that I fixed like this 7 years ago and repainted and it still looks great. I just hate bondo and would never use it unless its a last resort, but I am a good welder and have all the equipment. This method is not for everyone. Also have to make sure the tank is cleaned out and dry.

1972 Kawasaki H2-750 Triple Mach IV
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
1981 Kawasaki KZ750LTD-4
1983 Suzuki GS650 Tempter
1981 Yamaha Virago XV920

More
25 Mar 2009 19:23 #275420 by PLUMMEN
aarons80kz650 wrote:

I'm a hillbilly I guess. I heard that putting air in the tank would push out the dent, sounded good to me and I am full of hot air. I hooked up a compressed air source to my tank and tried to regulate the pressure to the tank.

The dent popped out:) and then when I let out the air the dent popped back in. :angry: Bummer.

I have just been riding with a dent.

metal was stretched,needs shrinking

More
25 Mar 2009 19:26 #275423 by PLUMMEN
Patton wrote:

aarons80kz650 wrote:

that crease in the center of the dent is a pressure buckle that needs to be removed to allow rest of dent to come out.B)

More
25 Mar 2009 19:57 - 25 Mar 2009 20:01 #275436 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic tank dent
Compressed Air.... Noooo don't do that!

I had a dent almost identical to that one on this bike. Hot glue and 1" plastic dowel about 8" long(wood should woork too).
Apply the glue to the dowel stick it to the tank and let it set up. Pull on the down until the glue just starts to let go, then rock it back and forth and up and down. You will see the dent start to work out. The dowel will dome off, re-apply the glue and repeat about 10 times or until your happy with it. I am serous my tank looked just like that one before I pulled the dent. A paintless dent repair guy told me how to do it, he said it would be simple to do because these tanks are very thin. He was right. If should work as long an there isn't a bad crease in the metal. And that tank isn't. It wont be perfect, but it will get 98% of out and the paint will look just fine.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Mar 2009 20:01 by Tyler.