Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750B Seat Recovering 08 Feb 2006 07:00 #22413

• DLC
  • DLC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought a KZ750B seat off eBay a couple months ago and I'm finally thinking of recovering it as spring seems just around the corner (a guy can dream can't he?).

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the JC Whitney seat recovering kits. Are they easy to use for those completely ignorant of upholstery?

Also, I'm wondering how I can tell if I need to replace some of the foam on the seat. Its clearly been exposed to the elements, though it isn't crumbly at all. Some of the surface layer is a bit hardened though, particularly at edges and in the creases on top. Do I need to cut some out and replace, or is that not necessary?

Thanks as always for the advice!

DLC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750B Seat Recovering 08 Feb 2006 10:03 #22453

• KitNYC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
To check if the foam is good, throw a trash bag on top of the seat. Sit on it. (Literally, not in the Happy Days sense.;) ) If it's comfy enough for you to sit on, the foam is okay.

As far as the JCW cover, it's probably pretty similar to the cover I got for my 440 last year. I was ignorant of upholstery, & it was pretty easy for me. Go slow, take your time, it'll look fine. Shop around, though, you can probably find one cheaper than $60.

HTH,
-Kit

KZ750B Seat Recovering 08 Feb 2006 10:38 #22462

• DLC
  • User
That's a fine idea. Might as well get it straight from the horse's, er, mouth. I would try the method of recovering you used for the KZ400, but there isn't very much of the original cover left!

KZ750B Seat Recovering 08 Feb 2006 10:38 #22463

• DLC
  • User
That's a fine idea. Might as well get it straight from the horse's, er, mouth. I would try the method of recovering you used for the KZ400, but there isn't very much of the original cover left!

KZ750B Seat Recovering 08 Feb 2006 10:41 #22464

• DLC
  • User
Actually, I take it back. You did cover over about the same amount of the seat as I'd have to. Maybe I'll try the $7 method first!

• Page: