Too many options

• Virii
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
More
29 Jun 2008 17:43 - 29 Jun 2008 20:17 #222912 by Virii
Too many options was created by Virii
In preparing to repaint the KZ650, I've been digging around miscelaneous boards today getting some paint ideas. I had an idea in mind, but the more I looked, the more options I saw and I'm just seeing so many really nice options that my head is almost spinning. Reading through tech sheets, it looks like some items are mutually exclusive (kandy/kameleon, etc). Are there any rules of thumb that I'm missing?

My original thought was a base slightly lighter than cobalt, with metal flake and kandy...Very similar to stock and how it is now but with a deep glossy shine and just a hint of purple...

Then I saw House of Kolor had some colour changing flakes and transparent flakes and I thought...yeah, colour changing might be nice. Cobalt with a transparent flake and kandy. Sounds like it could be really nice...

Then I saw their kosmic pearl and kameleon. The kosmic pearl seems like it would give the base a slight colour shift. The kameleon is a more dramatic shift (red to blue) and it looks like I could just do a klear and call it done but would such a dramatic shift give the bike a strange feel?

Am I just really overthinking this? ;)

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2008 20:17 by Virii.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2008 07:13 #223025 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Too many options
I hope it's normal to overthink this aspect of the project because I've certainly done it. I've gone from moon dust with and without pin striping, to Kaw green, to burgundy, to candy apple (green or red), to blue, to flames or no flames... blah, blah, blah... (are the voices in my head bothering you?)

Finally, I think I'll just go with the plain moon dust.:laugh:

It's a tough decision considering all the effort that goes into it. And, we want to be sure that once it's done we get "the look" that we can live with (and enjoy). I know you'll come up with something you'll like. Ater all, you put a lot of thought to it.:)

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

• Virii
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
More
30 Jun 2008 14:35 #223113 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Too many options
Moon dust...hmmmm

NO...no, I'm not considering any new options! :angry:

I think what I'd really like is a deep blue with a slight irridescent quality, preferably with a very slight reddish shift (just barely purple but not enough that you think "wow, that's so purple").

Do you suppose a blue with some pearl and a clear would do that or do I really need to consider doing a candy to get there?

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

More
30 Jun 2008 16:11 #223135 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Too many options
KZErider wrote:

I've gone from moon dust with and without pin striping, to Kaw green, to burgundy, to candy apple (green or red), to blue, to flames or no flames)

Wow it must have taken quite a few months to go through all those paint jobs. No one listens to me when I say repaints don't last take note here.:laugh:
OK mouth zippered again:)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
30 Jun 2008 19:51 #223188 by Saki Jockey
Replied by Saki Jockey on topic Too many options
I'd just be happy to have paint that looks good after waxing, regardless of colour.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

• Virii
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
More
30 Jun 2008 20:22 #223201 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Too many options
I would too but I've had too many pouting sessions after dripping/spilling/expanding petrol all over my tank...I look good from a distance but if you look at it close enough, it'll make you cry.

...maybe that's a little too dramatic, but it's not so pretty. ;)