Larger gas tank

More
25 Jun 2008 10:25 #222079 by RedKow
Larger gas tank was created by RedKow
Hi,

I'm running the stock 3 gal. gas tank on my 1980 KZ 750 G LTD model bike and do 100 plus miles a day. A little time spent in Atlanta traffic puts me on fumes in some shady areas... Is there a larger tank that will fit right on? refer a 4 gal at least. What size is the KZ 1000? thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2008 17:51 - 25 Jun 2008 17:52 #222170 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Larger gas tank
It's easy to put a 4 gallon tank on a 1980 KZ750G, that's what the stock tank is. :)

I have a 1980 KZ750G tank on my 79 KZ750B4, four days ago I totally drained the gas that was in it, went to the station and put four gallons of gas in a gas can, then dumped the entire four gallons into the 750G tank.

Here's the secret :)

You can only put four gallons in the tank if the bike is vertical, it only holds 3.5 gallons or so if the bike is on the sidestand, and the 750G doesn't have a centerstand, and four gallons fills it "all" the way to the top.

So, pull up close to the pump. use a credit card so you can pay at the pump, do not let the bike lean, and you have a four gallon tank :D

As far as I can tell, 76-80 750 twins all have the same size tank, and mounting a tank off any other model is a pain in the rump.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 25 Jun 2008 17:52 by steell.

More
26 Jun 2008 09:54 #222323 by enormiss
Replied by enormiss on topic Larger gas tank
Mine's not a twin but also holds only 3gal...
I commute 60mi a day and need to fill up every other, gets kind of old.
I ride on reserve and have the red light show when it's time.
Always around 120mi and it takes slightly more than 2.5gal
Was also hoping for a bigger tank :(

81 750 LTD
96 DR 350
94 DR 350
S. Jersey

More
26 Jun 2008 21:38 #222444 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Larger gas tank
I too travel far enough that I wanted extra fuel capacity.

I was brainstorming one day about having a reserve tank mounted where a sissy bar would be, behind the seat, above the liquid level of the stock tank. It could be plastic or whatever. It could even be disguised to look like a storage bin thingy. My thought was about 2 gallons.

A fuel line could then be run down to an added tee in the existing fuel line. A leak proof tank tap has been my most major concern.

There would need to be a petcock. Otherwise the fuel would flow up into the stock tank and overflow (a one way check valve would impede fuel flow too much.) If you ran off of the reserve tank first, however, you could empty it first, then switch the stock tank on and use it next. Schwing.

Safety issues though. Would it really be that dangerous? Could it be done somewhat responsibly? My thought was to have it be easily removable.

Not trying to invent a bomb......

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
27 Jun 2008 05:33 - 04 Dec 2008 06:56 #222486 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 06:56 by JMKZHI.