Temp fix for chipped tank?

• l0g1c
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
16 Jun 2008 01:21 #220267 by l0g1c
Temp fix for chipped tank? was created by l0g1c
When I spilled my bike around a month ago, it jammed the starter button into my tank, putting a nickel-size dent in it. The paint chipped off exposing bare metal.

I don't want to lose any riding time, so I'm going to wait a few months before getting it fixed properly. The problem is that the metal is already beginning to oxidize. What should I do as a temporary fix? If I sand it down and rattle can it, will it be enough to preserve the tank for a few months? What's the best way to prepare the damaged area? Should I try the dry-ice trick to try to pull the dent a little beforehand?

I know that this is probably a no-brainer, but I'm afraid that if I don't do a proper job, I'll end up having to buy a new tank down the line, which I'd obviously like to avoid.

I've never done any body work, so even the smallest tips would be appreciated.

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2008 04:57 - 04 Dec 2008 06:42 #220277 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 06:42 by JMKZHI.

More
16 Jun 2008 07:36 #220298 by snorules
Replied by snorules on topic Temp fix for chipped tank?
The best and most gas proof rattle can I've found is Rustoleum appliance epoxy, $4.00 at the hardware store, as stated in the above post, make sure to sand and spray some rust converting primer on it first. If rust gets under a fresh coat of paint, your done for. Also, walmart sells tack cloths in the auto section for around $1. They work awesome to remove all of the sanding dust. The only catch with the paint is that only comes in black or white.

Just my.02

Good luck and happy riding

1980 KZ550C (daily rider)
1981 KZ1000J (bagger project in progress)
1981 GS1100 (future dragbike)
1978 Z1R (not mine yet, but trying to work out a deal to acquire it).

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
17 Jun 2008 20:33 - 17 Jun 2008 20:35 #220623 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Temp fix for chipped tank?
go riding around the local car lots, if you see a van with a tent awning up in the back part of the lot and a guy painting a bumper or whatever, pull in and see if he is painting. he will patch it right quickly for you and almost match your paint with his overstock paints.

Well, atleast i would if you pulled in on the lots i worked with my brother.
With any more luck the Dent Wizard would be on the lot pushing dents and dings back out too.

Bring a few bucks riding with you and go on your adventure now.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2008 20:35 by ran429.

More
18 Jun 2008 18:11 #220773 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Temp fix for chipped tank?
Just put a little nail polish on the spot to stop the rust and fix it when you have the time.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
26 Jun 2008 22:03 #222453 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Temp fix for chipped tank?
Nail polish is an excellent idea.

Mind the gas sloshing, it might make the polish run and re-expose the metal to the elements.... And make a tacky mess.

Peace

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you