Replacing Side covers

More
05 May 2008 16:42 #211420 by sramsey216
Replacing Side covers was created by sramsey216
So I took my bike out sunday for nice little ride and got a wild hair to open up the throttle and see how the new swingarm handled at high speeds. After I brought her back down to a "reasonable speed" (not sure of the exact number as I have no gauges) I happen to look down and notice I was missing a side cover.

A quick u-turn and retrace of the road yielded no results. So now I am in the market for a new side cover for an 80 1000. Z1 has them for $30, none listed on ebay. Do you guys think this is a reasonable price?

When I get a new side cover I'm going to try and make some duplicates out of fiberglass if anyone is interested.

1980 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2008 19:24 #211458 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Replacing Side covers
Some replacement sidecovers needs to be bolted on as they do not mount as usual. Plus there are many ways to insure it doesn't happen again. Do a sidecover search.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
06 May 2008 02:00 #211515 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Replacing Side covers
That is the going price for aftermarket sidecovers. There are (were) two aftermarket manufacturers...Maier and someone else who escapes me at this instant. They are both plastic, although Maier's are thicker, more rugged ABS. The other is thinner, almost a polystyrene type (I have both types). Both types will have to be drilled for mounting bolts, if new and Maier is still in business. If you opt to wait for OEM on eBay, they will come up again (things always do on eBay), but expect to pay up to US$75.00 each for the covers. The OEM cover mounting pegs can be drilled to prevent this happening in the future.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A