Rattle can gas tank paint job, meets liquid gas!!

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
03 May 2008 01:58 #210839 by Qdude
sweeeet.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2008 18:01 #212439 by Werewolfx
Everything I've ever needed to strip the wax on, I've used some dish soap and water..I use about 2 tablespoons of soap for a gallon of water.

Chris

More
09 May 2008 20:41 #212475 by WPBill
I used polyurethane clear coat, avail in rattle cans from home improvement stores, to coat my rattle can paint job. Its the stuff you spray on wooden furniture to protect it. The stuff is almost indestructible. The one bad thing is it put a slight yellowish tint on my silver gas tanks. Since all I wanted was a "10-foot" paint job anyway, no worries.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)

More
09 May 2008 23:39 #212500 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Rattle can gas tank paint job, meets liquid gas!!
Qdude wrote:

I want to re-clear coat. I will do this over the existing enamel clear coat.

Better test it for compatibility or it could rip the old paint off like paint stripper. If you want to strip off all wax and give a solid base for the new clear, water sand the old clear coat with #600 (don't lean on the edges, you don't want to remove color coat)and then dry completely. Wipe with a tack rag and fire away with the epoxy clear coat.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 May 2008 11:33 #212563 by racer54
Use dish or any detergent like Dawn that removes grease. Be sure to rinse it off good as it will leave a film otherwise. Strips the wax build-up good. Then do your thing and give it a good wax after you are done. Remember to let any paint dry for a few weeks before putting a good wax job on it. Don't use a wax/cleaner...it will leave scratches-cleaner part has abrasives. Use pure carnuba wax for protection and true wax shine.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
08 Jun 2008 01:48 #218685 by Nelson
I have a tank with Duplicolor enamel clear on it. spilled gas several times and no damage. came from auto parts store

lacquer can't handle gas at all

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
09 Jun 2008 13:09 #218982 by BSKZ650
I know you dont want to hear this, but, 4 times, dude, buy a paint gun, cheap harbor freight HVLP works great, I have it and the high dollar ingersol, and the cheap gun shoots just as good.
then spend 100 bucks on automotive paint, you will not be doing it again due to gas

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
09 Jun 2008 15:06 #218999 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic Rattle can gas tank paint job, meets liquid gas!!
Here is a tip,

2 ways to prevent gas spillage on your tank:

1) plug the nossel hole with your gloved finger until the nosel is in the tank. Do the opposite upon removal.

2)Screw your gas cap ghasket to the left to provide a tighter seal, just 2 revolutions works well without restricting air flow.

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

More
17 Jun 2008 19:50 #220611 by ronjones
ronjones wrote:

same thing recently happened to mine. I tried compound and it helped some. It doesn't look as if it got to the paint, so I've rewaxed. Maybe I'll hit it w/the compound a couple of more times. I'll probably wait until winter and go at it w/1500 and reclearcoat...if I don't just strip and redo in another color.

Update to the above post:
I got tired of looking at the left side gas washed tank, and figured I couldn't make it look any worse. I took some 1200 wet/dry to the side of my tank and very gently sanded out the blemish. I took a couple of times of sanding and wiping but pretty much removed it w/o going into the color. I then hit it w/some compound and cleaned it off, real well and dried. Got my PJ1 clear and put a couple of coats. It hasn't totally cured yet, I've got a bit of peel, but I think it's gonna work out ok once I compound it again. Hey, it ain't perfect but it will do, until I redo the whole tank, and looks a lot better than it did:).

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
17 Jun 2008 20:24 #220621 by Nelson
BSKZ650 wrote:

I know you dont want to hear this, but, 4 times, dude, buy a paint gun, cheap harbor freight HVLP works great, I have it and the high dollar ingersol, and the cheap gun shoots just as good.
then spend 100 bucks on automotive paint, you will not be doing it again due to gas

yes! and the gun shoots WAYYY better than any crappy spray can. you will have a much nicer job. it's totally worth it if u plan to keep the bike

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.