engine and frame paint

• jus1975
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • www.tripleaperformance.com
More
19 Apr 2008 21:03 #207711 by jus1975
engine and frame paint was created by jus1975
What are you guys using to paint your engine and frame. I thought about Duracoat but if you want to change color you cant strip it down. I would like to paint the engine without stripping it or media blasting. Can duracoat be sprayed over other finishes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2008 07:10 #207800 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic engine and frame paint
I just recently went through this same dilemma and ended up with PJ1 Fast Black High-Gloss Epoxy frame paint. Had to order it from my local motorcycle PJ1 distributor, shits hard to find on the shelves.

On a piece of test metal, I originally tried engine paint enamels of various manufacturers but found they chipped rather easily by dropping bolts/sharp objects on the metal.

In the PJ1 testing in the same manner, it didn't chip at all. With a little harder force applied it did make a dimple/imperfection in the paint which would be expected even in powder coating but still no chipping! With this in mind, I painted my frame, so far so good.

There's another product I was interested in my research of this by Eastwood. Extreme Chassis Black.

www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=14348&itemType=PRODUCT

As for engine paint, sorry but can't help here in which product is best.

But I can tell you this, what ever you choose, with out removing the old engine paint or at least smoothing it out it will never come out a clean job. Meaning it what is already on there is crap then no matter how good a product is it will still be crap, maybe just a different color of crap. LOL!

Old Man Rock

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
21 Apr 2008 14:36 #208046 by securitygeek
Replied by securitygeek on topic engine and frame paint
I used the Duplicolor Engine paint with ceramic, the spray can stuff. It worked really well for the cost. I just degreased the engine really well and painted it. The frame was painted with the same paint (complete tare-down). It has held up very well. It is not scratch-proof, but handles normal road grime and washings quite well. It seems to take the normal abuse (three kids with stuff in the garage :P ) without incident. I painted mine a couple of years ago, and am still happy with it.

More
22 Apr 2008 02:30 - 22 Apr 2008 02:32 #208143 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic engine and frame paint
I found that the ceramic paint has durability that is astounding, but it is not as deep of a black as I have had with some of the "BBQ" paints. (the ceramic paint seemed to be much lighter, almost 'whitened black' or deep creme black'ish', hard to describe).

The grill paints were a much better color, but did not last at all compared to the ceramic Duplicolor paint.

Which to choose, color or durability.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you
Last edit: 22 Apr 2008 02:32 by Qdude.