Removing gold engine paint

More
19 Apr 2008 17:01 #207679 by dnpurdy
Removing gold engine paint was created by dnpurdy
I have a 1982 Spectre kz750-n1 which came with the engine covers and top painted gold. I would like to return these parts to the muted raw alumuium look. I can remove the paint with 220-grit paper, but it takes forever and leaves it scratchy looking. Is there any chemical we know that will remove the factory gold finish?

(1980 KZ440-A1 sold project bike)
(1982 KZ750-N1 still stolen)
1982 KZ750-N1, my only now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2008 17:31 #207684 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Removing gold engine paint
paint stripper?;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
19 Apr 2008 18:36 #207696 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Removing gold engine paint
It's not simple paint. Kawasaki knew paint could not and would not adhere to an engine from their ill fated earlier attempts. Removing is not an easy thing. Sanding, then polishing is an option or bead blasting. I doubt paint stripper will touch it, but what do I know. It did nothing on the black forks I was attempting to strip, I know that.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
19 Apr 2008 20:08 #207703 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Removing gold engine paint
A sure fire method but kinda pricey is dip type carb cleaner just brush it on and let set for about 24hrs.might hafta do it twice but it will remove it.

More
20 Apr 2008 05:47 #207773 by dannyg40
Replied by dannyg40 on topic Removing gold engine paint
They make a paint stripper in a spray can called "aircraft paint stripper". Its usually in the paint dept. at automotive parts stores although I have seen it at Walmart. Spray it on and it works great. Its called Aircraft stripper cause its safe to use on Aluminum.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
20 Apr 2008 08:40 #207810 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Removing gold engine paint
is it paint or is it anodized?

if anodized...

1)

There are 2 way to accomplish the removal of the anodic coating from aluminum depending on the surface you want to end up with. A NaOH etch solution will remove the coating but will etch the surface leaving a diffuse (matte) appearance. The chromic acid/phosphoric acid solution used in the Acid Dissolution Test ASTM - 137 will remove the anodic coating without affecting the underlying surface. The composition of that bath is 80 grams of chromic acid in 3.5 liters of water, add 140 ml of 85% phosphoric acid, add water to make 4 liters. The bath is operated at 190 - 200 deg. F. Immerse the part for 15 minutes and then rinse well in water.

Lee C. Branch, Richmond, VA

not recommended by me because of personal and environmental unpleasantness associated with chromic acid.

2) www.freepatentsonline.com/4244792.html
the acids are still dangerous but not as likely to poison you or the neighborhood. should be easier to obtain also

3)best and cheapest is to send to anodizing shop and tell them you wan gold gone and clear applied. i like to do things myself but shop charge is pretty small compared to hassle + expense + mess of DIY

-Duck

More
23 Apr 2008 15:08 #208520 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Removing gold engine paint
Carb dip will remove paint/powder coat as well as anodization.i know i have done it .