Help !! Who knows paint ??

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
06 Apr 2008 21:46 #204686 by Qdude
Help !! Who knows paint ?? was created by Qdude
I rattle can painted my plastic parts. Then I applied many coats of clear. All was done well. I left the parts outside for four hours (I left for errands).

I needed to leave the parts outside for the fumes. Unfortunately, there was a little rain. Now I have 8 parts that have white bumps on them from the water that had set on the clear coat.

I took one part and sanded it under a water stream with 400 grit sandpaper. It kind of got rid of the water spots, but not completely. Then I shot it with a little more clear to test. I still saw water rings under the clear.

I am considering to let the clear sit in the garage (sorry sweetheart, I don't care about the fumes now) to see if any of the moisture clears. Then sand it and re-spray it with clear.

How much should I sand off?
Should I strip the parts completely?
Might it have fouled the color paint as well?
Should I wait a week to allow the clear to harden more?
Am I screwed?
Has anyone experienced this before?
What would an experienced person do to amend this predicament?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
06 Apr 2008 21:59 #204691 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Help !! Who knows paint ??

Here is what I saw.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Attachments:

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
06 Apr 2008 22:01 #204692 by Qdude

Here is the one that I sanded then hit with a little clear. The water marks are still visible underneath.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Attachments:

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
06 Apr 2008 22:02 #204693 by Qdude

Daaaaamn !!!

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2008 22:16 #204694 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Help !! Who knows paint ??
I'm afraid your goig to have to sand till there all gone and most likely have tospray some color again then re-clear. Make sure they color is dry beforeclearing.

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
06 Apr 2008 22:51 #204695 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic Help !! Who knows paint ??
If it makes you feel better the water spots look kind of like this octopus I saw on the Discovery channel.
That's cool, right?

Sorry about the paint man.

\'78 Kz650d sr

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
07 Apr 2008 11:14 #204797 by Qdude
Ha ha ha ha...

Back to square one....

Man and I had finished it as well......

I sanded it til I could see no more rings in the finish. Then I resprayed with clear.

All the rings are still there..... They came right back.

I will get some 220 grit wet dry and sand it down to the plastic again.......

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

More
07 Apr 2008 11:44 #204801 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Help !! Who knows paint ??
You shouldn't have to sand all the way to the plastic, unless the color wasn't dry when you applied the clear. the rings will disappear once you get thru the clear layers, but don't get too aggressive with the grit or you will scratch thru the color into the plactic. Then, you WILL have to start over. I rattled my plastic and did the same thing, and left them in the sun to dry...Bad idea..some wind came up...you get the idea. 220 IMHO is too aggressive and it's gonna go right thru the paint into the plastic and you will end up doing more work than what is needed. I used 600 to redo mine. Took a little longer, but was worth the time.

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
07 Apr 2008 12:04 - 07 Apr 2008 12:10 #204807 by Qdude
Screw dat, 150 grit !! :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously though.

I did spray the clear immediately after the color coat. And I am having issues with the rings re-appearing even though I thought they were gone. I agree with all you say, and I think that the color is spoiled as well.... Darn.

Instead of trying to sand down just enough, I am going to sand down and primer again.

Hell. I've done this already this week, I am getting some experience. I will be able to at least go quickly now.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2008 12:10 by Qdude.