Handle bars?

More
06 Apr 2008 18:35 #204664 by Gidian9
Handle bars? was created by Gidian9
I am ashamed to admit that I have dropped my bike a few times and the handle bars have become a bit bent out of shape. I was thinking about replacing them with some after market bars but I don't know if this is a good idea. The standard bars are not very expensive and I like the way they ride so I just wanted to get some opinions.
Thanks!

KZ440 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2008 06:31 #204739 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Handle bars?
Welcome.

It's all a personal choice. There are a lot of different bars to choose from.
I take it you have a KZ? Add your year and model to your signature in the Profile section.
Most KZs use a 7/8" diametre handlebar.

I've slowly gone lower and lower with my bars over the years. Lower will hurt your back if you alraedy have problems there.
Some LTD models don't suit low bars.

Post a picture of your bike as well so we know what were dealing with here. B)

Ebay may have a used handle bar for your model. Check it out. Or someone here may as well.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
07 Apr 2008 22:09 - 07 Apr 2008 22:10 #204920 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Handle bars?
Yep, I've done the same thing.

I went in to look at the bars a few times before I decided which I wanted. Really think about where you would like your hands to end up, angle included, up/down, forward/backward twisted in or over. You get the idea. Then look for bars that get you what you want, and don't worry about waiting a day or two just to be sure.

It is a bit of a process to change the bars with my bike and it's worn out, temperamental parts. But in the end it is really nice to have symmetry.

Don't jinx your self though, change the bars and you might lay it down again....:woohoo:

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you
Last edit: 07 Apr 2008 22:10 by Qdude.

More
08 Apr 2008 12:33 #205053 by Gidian9
Replied by Gidian9 on topic Handle bars?
Yea I hear that and my luck does seem to run that way but its to the point that my wrists are twisting at weird angles its affecting my turning a bit. I'm not really going for style at this point, more for functionality.
Thanks for the advice.

KZ440 LTD

More
08 Apr 2008 13:06 #205057 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Handle bars?
sounds like anything will be better than what you have now.replace them with some that are close to what you have and take some time to consider what you might want to change about them.at least you will be riding safer while you decide on a change.there is my humble opinion fwiw.

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
09 Apr 2008 18:49 #205306 by Gidian9
Replied by Gidian9 on topic Handle bars?
That makes a lot of sense, thanks

KZ440 LTD

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
09 Apr 2008 20:14 #205330 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Handle bars?
531blackbanshee wrote:

sounds like anything will be better than what you have now.replace them with some that are close to what you have and take some time to consider what you might want to change about them.at least you will be riding safer while you decide on a change.there is my humble opinion fwiw.

i like this ansewr.

also, you can get inexpensive aftermarket bars cheaper ot a bike shop than used (might be bent also) bars off ebay. You can bring them home one pair at a time and set them on the bike without clamping them down for the feel (take bike in a truck to shop for them even smarter) and return what you dont like.

If you decide to go shorter, then make sure you also purchase a shorter clutch and throttle cable.