Just painted tank, has rust IN it

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
17 Apr 2008 08:26 - 17 Apr 2008 08:27 #207102 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Just painted tank, has rust IN it
Wow, I have heard of this method. Would you mind sending a pic of your set-up and the pool product? I think this is the idea that I like the best so far. That and the chain (damn bb's)

A friend of mine got a "puch" pedal moped scooter for free off of Craig's List. Its frame serves as its gas tank and the inside was incredibly rusted. He used a method with electricity that ate the electrode away. He would need to replace the electrode as it would corrode and slowly disappear. Does anyone recognize this method? I will have to contact him and get the details. Shoot. It has been about 5 years....

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you
Last edit: 17 Apr 2008 08:27 by Qdude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2008 09:49 - 17 Apr 2008 09:55 #207131 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Just painted tank, has rust IN it
Click here and scroll down to ejshotgun's post.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)
Last edit: 17 Apr 2008 09:55 by mariozappa.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
17 Apr 2008 12:56 #207186 by Qdude
Tank is almost done, just waiting for the wax to dry.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Attachments:

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
17 Apr 2008 12:57 #207188 by Qdude

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Attachments:

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
17 Apr 2008 13:03 #207190 by Qdude

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Attachments:

More
17 Apr 2008 20:03 #207282 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Just painted tank, has rust IN it
give me a few days I will get the whole process together with pics and diagrams and see if I can post it so all can see

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
17 Apr 2008 21:53 #207301 by Qdude
Thank you, that would be great.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

More
20 Apr 2008 15:00 #207870 by djfisher22
Replied by djfisher22 on topic Just painted tank, has rust IN it
I've been through this discussion on a few sites and here is my ultimate solution.No muss,no fuss,no fancy electrolysis.I saved my post for just this occasion so here it is..............This was about my 72 H2 tank

here's how dumb I am.I painted,decaled and cleared my tank before I decided the inside needed cleaned.I had to be a bit careful about the acid leaking on the painted surface.I removed the petcock and put a piece of rubber heater hose on it with a big bolt as a plug with two hose clamps.I still had the fuel cap on so I used it to plug the top side.poured the entire gallon of Baer driveway cleaner(home depot)into the tank,put a piece of visqueen(heavy clear plastic) over the hole and locked the cap down.Then I just rotated the tank every ten minutes or so,so the fluid could completely cover all the surfaces.I just repeated that routine 3 or 4 times each time I drained in between I drained it into a bucket,through an automotive paper paint filter.When I was done the tank was clean as a whistle other than some left over crud stuck to the bottom from fuel evaporating away years ago.For that I used some lacquer thinner and a rag taped to a paint stick to swab the gunk away after it soaked a bit.I cleaned it as well as I could then put some 2 stroke in it and swished it around to coat the interior till I was ready to fill with fuel.That was a few years ago,I never coated the inside with anything and it's still shiney steel inside.I always try to keep the tank full though for good measure.

I've had PM's from a bunch of board members from my triples sites I frequent that have used my method and all have raved about the results.The Baer driveway cleaner has Phosphoric acid and some soaps in it.Muriatic is much too powerful and as soon as you rinse it the flash rusting begins immediately.Phosphoric actually chemicly converts the surface to make the bare metal rust resistant.And the best part is that the driveway cleaner is about $15. a gallon and you can reuse it again.Trust me,it's the best deal in town.I see no reason to Kreem or Por15 a tank unless it's pinholed.

More
25 Apr 2008 16:16 #209098 by EasyRider1
Replied by EasyRider1 on topic Just painted tank, has rust IN it
I used POR-15 and it bubbled! Now I am in for a HUGE job reversing this. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. I cleaned the tank out b4 POR'ing it with bb's and CLR and it gets rid of that "short-term" surface rust that happens when you paint. Clean it out. Wash it out, reinstall it and fill 'er up and you will be good to go.

1978 KZ650C