Just painted tank, now rusty inside!!

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
19 Mar 2008 13:18 #201013 by Qdude
Like I said, there is now surface rust inside the tank. I found it when I took off the masking tape.

I rinsed off the inside of the tank with water, then set it in the sun with the wet dry vac (just the motor. not the waste can) blowing air into the gas inlet for 20 minutes or so.

I now see a bunch of junk in there, looks like moldy crud (brown orange) that seems as if it could break off and get stuck in the fuel filter.

I think I am going to go get some pea gravel and wash it well, then put it in the tank with water and shake the hell out of it. (I would use some type of petroleum product, but then I could not rinse it out afterward with a clear conscience.)

I will then do the wet vac blow dry in the sun thing again and put in some gas and gas dryer.

Any better ideas?

I will go shopping now and check the site before I do this thing. Wish me luck.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
19 Mar 2008 13:20 #201014 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Just painted tank, now rusty inside!!
The surface rust is not the crud I am talking about, the crud is accumulated something or rather. The surface rust is just that.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter

More
19 Mar 2008 13:26 - 19 Mar 2008 13:28 #201017 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Just painted tank, now rusty inside!!
If the junk in your tank is flaking get some steel BB's. Dump them in and seal the tank. Put the tank in a clothes dryer and stuff blankets all around it so it can't move and is in the middle of the dryer. Set the dryer for ni heat and run it through a few cycles. Wash the tank out with muratic acid or white vinegar. Do it good. Then get some gas in it as fast as possible cause in minutes it will flash rust. But at least the large scale rust will be gone. *Use steel BB's because you can use a magnet to make sure you get all the BB's back out.
Ya should have done this before you painted but I guess you already know that.:S

I think what you see is commonly called varnish. It's kackified gas! kackified is a scientific term ....:woohoo: !

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
Last edit: 19 Mar 2008 13:28 by Locozuna.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
19 Mar 2008 13:33 #201020 by Qdude
Steel bb's and white vinegar NOT pea gravel and water.

THANK YOU !!

I just painted the tank so I think the finish might be too soft for the dryer tumbling though.

Now I will go shopping again, that sounds like a much better idea.

Would air gun bb's work? I don't think they are steel is all.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

More
19 Mar 2008 14:17 #201029 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic Just painted tank, now rusty inside!!
If you will use phosphoric acid, it will not flash rush on you.

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
19 Mar 2008 14:19 #201030 by Qdude
Al right, I changed my mind. the BB's (wrist rocket and gun sized both) are in there now going round and round with my newly painted tank.

Wedged it in there with a couple of towels and pillows. It is tumbling end to end. I will give it an hour.(before that sound drives me crazy)

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
19 Mar 2008 17:17 #201071 by Qdude
ITS RUNNING AGAIN !!!!!

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.