Hazy Clear Coat !! Help !!

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
17 Mar 2008 22:17 #200694 by Qdude
Hazy Clear Coat !! Help !! was created by Qdude
I painted many coats of color, then sprayed on clear enamel made by the same company. So far so happy....

Should the clear cote be so hazy? It looks milky, like a thick layer of mucous. Now it is a white tank, not green. Crap !!

Is it possible that I have sprayed it too thick? Is it too cold out? Too humid? Am I too Stoopid?

I am hoping that this is the way that fresh clear coat is supposed to look, and that it will be clear tomorrow.

Should I sand it all off and start again? I'll do it.

Poo.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
18 Mar 2008 08:27 #200737 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Hazy Clear Coat !! Help !!
It cleared up. Still I thought I was gonna have a significant emotional event over the whole business.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter

More
18 Mar 2008 09:36 #200752 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Hazy Clear Coat !! Help !!
Glad to hear that cleared up for you. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. When are you going to post some pictures?

More
18 Mar 2008 09:45 #200756 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Hazy Clear Coat !! Help !!
Qdude wrote:

It cleared up. Still I thought I was gonna have a significant emotional event over the whole business.

Haze typically means that it picked up some humidity from the air as it was applied. We used to use "retarder" in the thinner to make it dry slower on humid days to give the moisture a chance to get out before the paint dried and trapped it. Sounds like your got out on it's own.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
19 Mar 2008 10:25 #200973 by Qdude
Yep, it did. I will be more careful of the humidity now.

I am now trying to convince my self that there is not enough clear on it, but I want to ride it.

I have everything I need to get the bike going now, so I want to stop spraying and let the paint cure, but I also want to put a stupid amount of clear on so it will look better?

It looks fine and if the clear is not thick enough for me in a week, or if my 2000 grit sanding takes me through it to the color, then I can spray more later.

I will get pics up as soon as I figure out how to download my phone camera's pics as my Sony digital camera has stopped working.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
09 Apr 2008 16:51 #205280 by Qdude
Taa-Daa !!

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Attachments:

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
09 Apr 2008 16:53 #205281 by Qdude

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Attachments:

More
13 Apr 2008 16:57 #206195 by redrkt
Replied by redrkt on topic Hazy Clear Coat !! Help !!
I found that once finished spray painting the clear coat, that's when the work began. You're right, the fine grit wet/dry paper (2000), used wet, followed by 3M liquid Perfect-IT 3000 Rubbing Compound (which removes the fine scratches from the wet/dry sandpaper, followed by 3M Perfect-IT Final Glaze (no, I don't work for 3M! ;) ). It did take some "elbow grease". I had some spots that were orange-peel (my inexperience in spray painting) and some sections that were a bit cloudy because of the humidity (I can blame that on the summer in Virginia!), but I'm happy with the finished result on my '82 GPz750.