Enamel or Laquer for Primers

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
08 Mar 2008 11:46 #199067 by Qdude
Enamel or Laquer for Primers was created by Qdude
I have seen threads telling of the incompatibility of certain paints and their tendency to lift or react adversely. Something about Laquer on Enamel or vise versa.

To choose which one I will use, I figure that I will find a color of metallic paint in a rattle can that I can live with and let that decide which, Laquer or Enamel, I should go with. I have gone down to the metal and removed all traces of paint.

My problem is this.

The primers... I wanted to find a sandable primer that is formulated for either Laquer or Enamel. It might be that the selection at the Auto parts store is too limited, but I had trouble finding on the cans whether the particular primer was made for either type of paint. Is that because I am misinformed and it does not really matter which?

Also, when the can says "wet-sandable" does that mean that it is not dry sandable and should I therefor not use it and opt for just sandable? I remember reading that water could get trapped under/in certain types of paint/primer so water should not be used until some certain step in the process....??

Do I need to be overly concerned about which primer I should use?

Do I really need to get sandable then filler primer? Couldn't the sandable primer be the filler primer as well. (I read a thread that recommended using both.)

I'll primer the tank before work tomorrow morning.

Thnks all.

Post edited by: Qdude, at: 2008/03/08 14:47

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2008 13:33 - 03 Dec 2008 20:56 #199081 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 20:56 by JMKZHI.

More
12 Mar 2008 13:01 #199757 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Enamel or Laquer for Primers
If I remember right you can put enamel over laquer primer, but not the other way around.
The best deal is to get some epoxy primer from a auto paint supplier, you can get a cheap apint gun at harbour frt, the primer is way better than any rattle can, you will like the finish a lot better, just remember you see what is under the paint, the better the prep work the better the paint job

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob