rattle canning tank.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
06 Mar 2008 11:28 #198737 by Qdude
rattle canning tank. was created by Qdude
I remember this great string of posts with lots of pics on stripping and prepping and rattle canning a tank last year. Does anyone else remember that string?

I am going to keep searching for it, but if anyone knows a more direct route to the string I would appreciate it.

Might as well paint the tank now that I am waiting for parts to come in the mail and such. Bike has been down for a few weeks now already.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Mar 2008 12:45 #198743 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic rattle canning tank.
i used a ratel can on my whole bike. have a look at pg 2.not very durable but it will by time till u get cash. a lot of work though.
kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...it,20/limitstart,0/B )

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
06 Mar 2008 13:10 #198746 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic rattle canning tank.
QDude,is this the thread you were talking about?
tinyurl.com/2fhnp5

It's not about "painting" the tank, but about clearcoating. The prep work for the tank before CC was basically using many coats of primer, w/lots of sanding, 400, 600, 800, 1000 girts, to get it smooth to the touch. Much about what I did for the CC, is just as pertinent for the actual painting. The hardest thing was the waiting a week to go by before sanding and painting again. Ya gotta let it "melt", between coats. I've heard you can speed up the process by using an oven.
(PT, left KZr not long after)

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2008/03/06 16:35

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
06 Mar 2008 15:04 #198765 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic rattle canning tank.
If I remember correctly, there used to be a thread that was stickied in paint a body that went through from stipping, to bondoing, to priming all the way to the clear coat. I think it was tittled "Painting Your Bike".:unsure: Don't know if this will help with your search. Found a printout of part of a thread tittled "How to: repaint your bike".

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
06 Mar 2008 17:51 #198808 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic rattle canning tank.
That might be it, Painting your bike.

The other info is going to be incredibly usable as well.

Thanks Ronjones, I will use that info farther down the road.

Now I have a can of paint stripper and some tape and some sanding disks and new steel and brass brushes.

I need to strip the tank tonight.

I am going to search for the painting yo0ur bike thread. It had really in depth instructions with pics as well.

Thanks all, I wish I could add pics, but I cant get them into the computer from my phone.

I will keep posting though. Wish me success.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
06 Mar 2008 18:17 #198813 by Qdude
Could not find the article/string. So I am just going to go down and follow the directions on the back of the can and strip the paint off of the tank.

I will be sure that the gas is completely out of it first.

I will remove the petcock and gas cap and mask the holes.

Can I leave the stripper on too long?

What about the less than 7o degree temps?
I will use an electric space heater to cook it a bit.

Here goes.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

More
06 Mar 2008 18:52 #198820 by kxhonda
Replied by kxhonda on topic rattle canning tank.
I think I know which thread you are talking about.

Give this one a try.

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/id,72544/catid,6/

1977 Kz650B1 #576th made.

Warsaw, In

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
06 Mar 2008 20:47 #198844 by Qdude
Yes that was the one I was thinking about!! Thank you!

I thought there was more in there about the stripping aspect, but it does seem to center around painting.

With this and the info from Ron Jones, I am sitting pretty!

I put the stripping chemical on for the second time, as some of the paint did not come off. 30% remaining.

I will go out and sand the rest off the wash my hands and then what?

What should I do now with the paint stripper on the metal.

Sand the rest off and use tack cloth to clean it off?

Keep sanding?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

More
07 Mar 2008 07:43 #198900 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic rattle canning tank.
Probably not what you are talking about, but here is an article I like

www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_repaint.htm

\'78 Kz650d sr

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
07 Mar 2008 09:23 #198917 by Qdude
All excellent sources, plenty of info to go with.

I'm going to get some sand paper and bondo now. The tank is free of its paint and needs to be sanded now. I have three hours to go 'til I need to go to work. I wonder how much I can accomplish?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
07 Mar 2008 10:55 #198932 by Qdude
Aw-right, so the Bondo is going to be a pain in the ass. I can see now that this is going to be a multiple application type thing. I know that if you try to work it too long, then it starts to bead up on you and come out/off in large snowball type lumps.

I got a cheese grater type rasp that I will use to rough shape the mess. I will get the basic shape formed (big dents, tablespoon sized). Then sand down the high spots and get it with another much thinner layer.

I got an hour to go, might be able to pull it off. I need to just get it rough rasped before I need to go. If I have time then I will apply the thin coat, but I'm planning on waiting a day for that. Take your time, right?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
07 Mar 2008 12:41 #198947 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic rattle canning tank.
Qdude, it sounds like I'm already too late with this, but what I like to do for dents like that is load my squeegie with un-activated bondo and do a couple practice swipes to see the best way to lay it down. That way, when I do add the hardener, I know exactly how much to put on the sqeegie and which way to smear it. Because I hate a lot of rasping and sanding.