First "real" paint job questions

More
22 Feb 2008 16:30 #196343 by EasyRider1
Replied by EasyRider1 on topic First
Duck wrote:

I like wax.

Please explain

1978 KZ650C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2008 10:07 #196667 by EasyRider1
PLUMMEN wrote:

cheap production enamel

Are you 100% positive that it was emamel and not lacquer?

Post edited by: EasyRider1, at: 2008/02/24 13:07

1978 KZ650C

More
24 Feb 2008 19:56 #196840 by baldtire
Replied by baldtire on topic First
get some stripper then it won't matter
Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2008 21:00 #196857 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic First
the ones ive had over the years were enamel,its been a few of them!:P

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
25 Feb 2008 05:49 #196897 by EasyRider1
baldtire wrote:

get some stripper then it won't matter

Yeah, but what about the plastic parts?

Post edited by: EasyRider1, at: 2008/02/25 08:50

1978 KZ650C

More
25 Feb 2008 06:30 #196903 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic First
Aircraft stripper is good for the metal. There is a citris stripper that is not as aggressive for the plastic. Better on the plastic is just sand them smooth or rough the paint to increase tooth. But keep your eye on the plastic I did melt a 750 sidecover to uselessness. Couldn't tell until I went to clean off the stripper. If they are in any good shape at all I'd just sand smooth.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
25 Feb 2008 07:17 #196906 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic First
EasyRider1 wrote:

what about the plastic parts

Am recalling an earlier thread with suggestion for using brake fluid to safely remove paint from the plastic parts (side covers and tail piece). Perhaps soaked for awhile inside a zip-lock baggie??

Have never tried this, so please await confirmation advice before attempting it. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Feb 2008 09:21 #196915 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic First
tried acetone one time,big mistake!:blink: :ohmy: :sick: :( :unsure: :S :dry: :huh: :blush: :whistle: it came in a plastic plastic bottle,just wast an abs plastic bottle!:P

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
25 Feb 2008 09:47 #196925 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic First
One thing to remember about Lacquer, if you spill gas on it while filling up its going to mess the paint up, I am not sure how you were able to buy lacquer since the EPA killed it for the most part in automotive paint, but if you did then get some clear to put on it also, it will help protect somewhat.

As far as strippers I am not a big fan of them, if the surface is in good shape then a through wet sanding and primer job will work, I like to use the epoxy sealer primers, they have worked the best for me

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
25 Feb 2008 11:39 #196937 by EasyRider1
BSKZ650 wrote:

One thing to remember about Lacquer, if you spill gas on it while filling up its going to mess the paint up, I am not sure how you were able to buy lacquer since the EPA killed it for the most part in automotive paint, but if you did then get some clear to put on it also, it will help protect somewhat.

As far as strippers I am not a big fan of them, if the surface is in good shape then a through wet sanding and primer job will work, I like to use the epoxy sealer primers, they have worked the best for me

I will be putting clear on top but that will be lacquer too so I guess that it will still be a risk. Lacquer is not supposed to be affected when gas hits it but it is possible (depending on what additives are in the gas or due to lower quality paint I suppose). I bought the lacquer from tcpglobal

1978 KZ650C

More
25 Feb 2008 11:49 - 03 Dec 2008 20:51 #196938 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 20:51 by JMKZHI.

More
25 Feb 2008 13:37 #196951 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic First
EasyRider1 wrote:

BSKZ650 wrote:

I will be putting clear on top but that will be lacquer too so I guess that it will still be a risk. Lacquer is not supposed to be affected when gas hits it but it is possible (depending on what additives are in the gas or due to lower quality paint I suppose). I bought the lacquer from tcpglobal

Years ago Lacquer was the stuff to use if you wanted a deep shine, I still like to looks better than the clear coats, but the paint is soft as compared to the new base coat clear coat systems, and gas will ruin the finish.
About 18 years ago I apinted a friends XS1100 with lacquer looked great until he spilled some fuel on a fill up, I was able to polish it out but we both knew where it was.
For my money I would purchase some new paint, why go to all the prep work on the parts only to have them messed up real easy by something like a gas spill or some scratches and chips, just me two cents worth

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob