Dustbin Fairings

More
05 Feb 2008 19:13 #193060 by Spot
Dustbin Fairings was created by Spot
I was checking out bike aerodynamics on the 'net and it seems the Hayabusa is the most aerodynamic on the street. But there was a few postings about dusdbin fairings. Anybody know someone who has one? If so, how do they like it? (looking for my ct90, not my KZ650).

Good judgment comes from experience, which usually comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2008 22:55 #193082 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Dustbin Fairings
I vaguely recall the dustbin fairings being outlawed in racing maybe in the late 60's. I think it was something to do with them blocking air flow to the brakes, but that was a long time ago :)

I think the last time I saw one was in the early 70's in England.

KD9JUR

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
06 Feb 2008 05:49 #193094 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Dustbin Fairings
Um, if I recall, the dustbins were outlawed because they were potentially aerodynamically unstable as h#&&. They put the aerodynamic center ahead of the center of gravity, which, in technical terms, is A REALLY, REALLY BAD THING. Think of a weathervane. The center of gravity (that is the point around which the bike's mass want to rotate) would be the pivot. If the center of air pressure is in front of this pivot, then it's no longer the front, right? Same with these bikes. There are those who blame the ban of these on racing politics, but I'm not sure that politics didn't just help decide a technical issue.
ps. This one is interesting!
Duc Monster w/streamlined bodywork

Some theorist point out that a dustbin would work OK if you also put an aerodynamic rear fairing on that would ofset the front fairing's pressure center. :sick:
Drive a car!

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
06 Feb 2008 19:00 #193184 by Spot
Replied by Spot on topic Dustbin Fairings
Thanks for the sanity check! Hate to think the KZ would need to find a new owner 'cause the old one got sucked under a truck with a Honda. How humiliating for a kawa!:pinch:

Good judgment comes from experience, which usually comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers