cleaning guns

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
05 Jan 2008 11:06 #187793 by mark1122
cleaning guns was created by mark1122
can anyone explain a good system to clean paint guns in a home shop that would only see occational use?
i am interested in trying my hand at painting.staring with gun kote on cases.i just dont want to have huge amounts of thinners and such going to waste,i'm not sure how to deal with it yet?.i know there must be good ways and bad ways to set up a cleanning system. any advice is wellcome.Thanks.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2008 13:08 #187810 by andoman
Replied by andoman on topic cleaning guns
I have a gallon of MEK in a clean paint can. I disassemble the gun and clean the parts with a little MEK removed from the can. I use a smaller pint can and swish the parts around in it. Then I store all the metal parts (handle and all) in the big can submerged in the clean MEK.

I don't paint all that often (once or twice a year) and the gun is always flawlessly clean and I don't waste a lot of chemicals getting it that way.

Make sure no rubber or plastic contacts the MEK! It will dissolve plastic and rubber away...

More
05 Jan 2008 15:33 #187831 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic cleaning guns
I would always rinse out the can and spray pure thinner through the gun to clean out the passages also. Then I would usually store the tips,etc. in a small can of thinner. MEK may be better but I don't know what that stuff is, so..... What is MEK? Where do you get it? I can't find it around here but have heard of it.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
05 Jan 2008 16:09 #187839 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic cleaning guns
doesnt the mek eat the spray gun seals??
are u spraying gun kote ?
racer i think it is Meathal Ethal Ketone ?? or something like that. it is used to thin Gun-Kote. a very durable gas proof , high heat finnish.awsome for motors.So i hear.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
05 Jan 2008 17:21 #187850 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic cleaning guns
I talked to an engine builder who sayd he uses it to thin his sealant...yamabond, etc.....so he doesn't use too much. Never heard of it before then but he really likes it. Where do you get it....auto parts stores like Autozone, etc.?

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
05 Jan 2008 18:57 #187868 by andoman
Replied by andoman on topic cleaning guns
Yup: Methel Ethel Ketone. Get it at the hardware store or your local auto paint and finish store. I get mine at ACE.

Fill up your paint pot with MEK and spray it through the gun to start the cleaning process.

Take precautions to avoid inhalation or absorption into the skin. High Ketone levels will damage the central nervous system. MEK might not be available in Canada or California...

Post edited by: andoman, at: 2008/01/06 00:04